Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOA questions

Default SOA questions

I'm using a front/rear set of Chevy axles for a spring-over conversion on my 1975 Scout 2.

Question #1: They came without the center link that connects the two front hubs for steering, and I don't know where to look (or what it's actually called to look up) to get a new one. Anybody?

Question #2: Anybody ever done a swap and kept the Chevy axles the standard width instead of shortening them to fit under the Scout? Either way, any tips would be great, otherwise I'm gonna end up doing this trial-and-error style and figure out what works for myself.

Question #3: Haven't decided if I'm going to do a reverse shackle in the front or not. Any input here is appreciated.

Basically, if anyone has done anything even close to what I'm going to do, please let me know and tell me what all you did to make it work.

I saw one that had it done, the tires definitely stick out a bunch ha ha, but you could counter that with more backspacing i would think..
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I guess when you're one of the guys that answers questions more than asks them, there's not a whole lot of help to be found, huh?

question 1. i would try lmc trucks parts they a very good and you can get a catalog for free lots of pictures.

question 2. back spacing or chop it,or fender flares

question 3. you are on your own with this one

sorry i couldn't be more help

HE he yeah ive only actually seen it done a couple times. One friend of mine has a scout 80 he runs 39.5 on 1 ton axles out of something.. i forget what make truck.

And there was one S2 for sale in my home town b4 i moved and it looked silly. I think he didn't backspace them at all so they stuck out AT LEAST 10-12 " past the body

I LOLd a little at his vehicle, and the 6500$ price tag on its window
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.

~T.J.

Well, thanks for the input guys. At least I have a better starting point now.

Lindstromjd,

Thanks for the post, I just signed on and have been reading a ton of threads. This is the closest I have seen yet to my questions.

I plan to do an SOA on a 1970 800A. I am worried about tire clearance on the springs during turning if I am running 33s or 35s. I have never done an SOA so all is new to me. Any guidance would be nice. My thought was to use full size ford 9 inch front and rear, 4.56 gears, 4 wheel disk brakes, and back spaced wheels.

Does anyone know the Plus/minus of running wider axles for moderate wheeling? Will it help stability on a lifted rig on the hwy?

Well if your gonna run 33/35's the stock 27/30 axles will not be sufficient. Im alittle hesitant to run 35's on my d44's and i have full chromoly shafts and truss bars front and rear ( i may just have a lead foot tho haha)

One major advantage to the full width axles will be u will much less likely have a problem with rubbing on turns since the tires will be a few inches farther out from the frame and tub/body

Personally i like the d44 scout width, so i just limited my steering and got about 1 inch less backspacing then i would have. Makes my 12.5s stick out maybe 1 inch or an inch and a half?

Your hardest part, is going to be gettin all the angles correct. you will also need a substaintial experience in welding (if u plan on doing it all urself)

Also LInd, did u figure out this question?

"Question #1: They came without the center link that connects the two front hubs for steering, and I don't know where to look (or what it's actually called to look up) to get a new one. Anybody?"

Are you talking about the "Tie rod" that connects the 2 outer knuckles ? close to where the drag link comes in as well (on scout knuckles that is)
    And if you know the axle.. im sure u can find a DOM tubing one on some axle/4x4ing site

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    Also LInd, did u figure out this question?

"Question #1: They came without the center link that connects the two front hubs for steering, and I don't know where to look (or what it's actually called to look up) to get a new one. Anybody?"

Are you talking about the "Tie rod" that connects the 2 outer knuckles ? close to where the drag link comes in as well (on scout knuckles that is)
    And if you know the axle.. im sure u can find a DOM tubing one on some axle/4x4ing site
    Actually, I think we're on the same page on that one. I was looking around (albeit not too hard, I admit) and couldn't find anything on it right away. Thought maybe I was looking up the wrong part.

So wait what axle are you using up front? i might be able to find you one real quick online.. im a master of the search lol you said it was a set of chevys right?

is the front a.. 10 or 12 bolt?

~T.J.