Thread: Drivetrain problems

Default Drivetrain problems

I've an 80 Scout II with an SD33T and a T-19 (close). The drivetrain has a couple of issues that are likely related. Symptom 1 is the persistent pressure on the shifter while in first gear that during deceleration causes the transmission to throw itself out of first and into neutral if I don't disengage the clutch. Symptom 2 is the consistent fight to shift smoothly through the transmission's gears. Unless the engine is driven to higher rpms and allowed to fall when clutching, shifting from first to second is nearly impossible - better just to shift straight into third from first, or start driving in second.

Mayhaps I just need to adjust the clutch? I haven't had time lately to look into the adjustment but could it be causing such force against the transmission's shifter and keeping me from shifting smoothly between gears?
    80 SD33T Scout II in the desert southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Motlei View Post
    I've an 80 Scout II with an SD33T and a T-19 (close). The drivetrain has a couple of issues that are likely related. Symptom 1 is the persistent pressure on the shifter while in first gear that during deceleration causes the transmission to throw itself out of first and into neutral if I don't disengage the clutch. Symptom 2 is the consistent fight to shift smoothly through the transmission's gears. Unless the engine is driven to higher rpms and allowed to fall when clutching, shifting from first to second is nearly impossible - better just to shift straight into third from first, or start driving in second.

Mayhaps I just need to adjust the clutch? I haven't had time lately to look into the adjustment but could it be causing such force against the transmission's shifter and keeping me from shifting smoothly between gears?
    If your clutch is too loose, you get slippage and a worn out clutch. If your throwout bearing is engaged to the point where it always rubs on the fingers to the clutch, you're going to wear out the throwout bearing and the clutch in short order. The quick check for that is just to look at the throwout bearing. Is it touching the clutch, or just a hair away from it? If not touching, it's adjusted right. If the clutch is just shot, you'll be slipping when you try to start from a dead stop.

Those are the checks. If the clutch is not slipping, you're going to have to think about the transmission itself.

The oil in the T-19 should be either 50 wt motor oil (or 40 for the winter) or 90 wt gear oil. NO EP ADDITIVES. Straight 50 wt has the same viscosity as 90 wt gear oil.

GL5 eats yellow metal, which is brass and bronze, which is what your synchros are made of. NEVER use it in your transmission.

The t-case, same story. Straight 50 wt motor oil or 90 wt gear oil. NOT HEAVIER OIL. Put the heavy duty stuff in the diffs.

It sounds like your synchros are worn, but check what's in the transmission first. Doesn't sound gummed up, but you may get lucky.

Newer transmissions often take different things. This information applies to what's in your scout, pickup, or travelall from the factory.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak