Thread: scout 2

Default scout 2

i have a 1973 scout 2 with a 258 straight 6 and i want to put a 304 in it. would there have to be any modifying to the motor mounts? or anything else

If I recall, yes the motor mounts will be different along with your tranny not connecting, but i am just going by memory. I am sure someone else will chime in.

The above is correct, you'll need a new bell housing & motor mounts. IF you've got an auto, you should be good on the radiator as well, but no guarantees, may want to upgrade to a larger core count. Since it is a SII, you should be fine with the steering box placement, etc... May have some line rerouting, but won't be too major.

Good luck with the replacement.

You can't bolt an IH engine to an automatic that was behind an AMC 6. The 73 scout used a 727 auto for both, and the auto transmissions are different. You must change out the transmission as well.

The engine mount swap requires some serious work. It can be done, but it's not just a "bolt in" swap.

Details, details.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

i have a t18 4 speed granny low transmission. should i need any replacements or change in my bell housing

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
    i have a t18 4 speed granny low transmission. should i need any replacements or change in my bell housing
    The bell housing is definitely different. I don't know if the input shaft on the transmission is different or not. IH could have made them the same. They altered the transmissions for the 4 cylinder IH engines in the Scout II, so you may be okay with the same transmission.

The linkage may have different geometry as well.

The 73 scout T18 did not come with a granny low option. Somebody may have swapped in a 4 speed from a J series jeep, or somebody may have swapped in the gears. The granny low in Scout IIs did not show up until the T19 became the 4 speed used. Right and back for reverse on the T19, Right and forward on the T18 and T98. Don't quote me on that. I'm dyslexic.
    Allan E.

Its a t-18 for sure cause i re built it one year and had the gearing re done but yes you are correct on the shifting pattern for those specific transmissions. and i believe that international made the same input shaft for all so most matched up to pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
    Its a t-18 for sure cause i re built it one year and had the gearing re done but yes you are correct on the shifting pattern for those specific transmissions. and i believe that international made the same input shaft for all so most matched up to pretty much anything.
    After the 800, yes. The T18 for the 4 cylinder engines were different until after IH dropped the 6 cylinder engine and went back to their own 4 cylinder engines. The input shafts were only 5 inches long. Obviously, the bell housing pattens would be different between them at that point as well. When the 196 was brought back, they clocked the engines and used the same setup for everything. The point here is that during the AMC-6 years, there was a transition, and you really need to be sure which way they went with the 6 cylinder bell housings at that time, short shaft, long shaft (V8), or something else entirely. I've swapped 4 cyl to V8 in an 800, had to change the transmission. Changed in a Scout II, did not have to change anything at the transmission end.
    Allan E.

okay thanks for the input
    also if i were to transfer the original steering box to a power steering box. any recommends on what brand or from what car to use it from.

Try the JustIH.org site. They have a really good 80/800 section. Great bunch of folks, too.
    Allan E.