Thread: Looking to purchase a Scout, need advice.

Default Looking to purchase a Scout, need advice.

I live in Southern California and am looking to purchase a Scout, leaning towards mid to late 70's up to 1980. I know there is a V8 and diesel model as well as a turbo diesel model in 1980 only. What is everyone's experience driving these Scouts? It seems to me a non turbo diesel would barely get out of its own way, probably not tow much of anything but itself and not be a very good off roader. The turbo diesel seems like it would be a better choice of the two but limited to only 1980 models. I'm sure the V8 is nails but want to be open to all options.

I'm looking for something to drive to the beach or local trails, throw in my bikes, my dog and hit the raod, maybe tow my 2k lb boat to the local lakes (40 min drive) so it needs to be dependable. Thanks for any input!

Where in Southern California are you? I am in San Diego and we have a Local Chapter of the Scouts West here. Go and look at www.scoutswest.com. There can be plenty of help and you never know, may find the scout you want from a member.

As for scouts, i hope you do realize that after 1975 all scouts have to smogged to run on the roads? I would suggest looking for a 1975 or older myself. One other option is if you can find a scout that has a diesel engine in it, California does not require those to be smogged. But yes, the diesels in these things were underpowered. If the diesel sees a hill it starts to bog and slow down.

Bill
    Scoutswest San Diego Chapter President
    Last edited by 78ssii; 04-17-2009 at 10:09 AM.

see, i can go in and edit my response, but the fact you quoted it means it is still there, and who cares anyways, your in Oregon, not California. Besides, it wont be long before California has to smog diesels too as California lawmakers hate diesels too.