Thread: 1980 Trubo Diesel questions

Default 1980 Trubo Diesel questions

I am looking at getting a scout for my wife to play with. She will be driving it around town some but mainly wants to use it for trail riding. From the reading ive been doing im not sure if the turbo diesel would be the way to go. any insight on these powerplants for use offroad?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franco424 View Post
    I am looking at getting a scout for my wife to play with. She will be driving it around town some but mainly wants to use it for trail riding. From the reading ive been doing im not sure if the turbo diesel would be the way to go. any insight on these powerplants for use offroad?
    Thanks
    Excellent off road due to the ability to run at extreme angles and you don't have to worry about giving it too much fuel on a bumpy trail.

Doesn't pick up all that fast, but you can get in the 25 mpg range, and the turbo version is fast enough to drive around town.

Expensive to fix the engine, but everything else is normal priced.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

obviously proper gearing will be an issue with off roading and that will be taken care of, she just wants to do something small 35" tires or so and be able to ride along with our group of friends. I had read that the diesel engines were fairly underpowered and prown to issues when put under much load which is what had me concerned for taking it off road. originally had considered that we might have to put sometype of fuel injected 6cyl into an old scout to help with fueling offroad and power.
    My uncle had one when i was younger that we used for hunting and i remember that it wasnt very quick but had tons of character. Would be great to be able to ditch the top during the nice months.

Quote Originally Posted by franco424 View Post
    obviously proper gearing will be an issue with off roading and that will be taken care of, she just wants to do something small 35" tires or so and be able to ride along with our group of friends. I had read that the diesel engines were fairly underpowered and prown to issues when put under much load which is what had me concerned for taking it off road. originally had considered that we might have to put sometype of fuel injected 6cyl into an old scout to help with fueling offroad and power.
    My uncle had one when i was younger that we used for hunting and i remember that it wasnt very quick but had tons of character. Would be great to be able to ditch the top during the nice months.
    35 inch tires won't fit without significant lift. You will need some kind of lift even for 33's with that scout to keep from rubbing, although if you keep them thin, like 9.5, they will tuck okay.

In low range, the diesel is an awesome machine, because you can run low rpm. If you're into mud bogging or sand dune racing or anything fast, forget it. At slow speed, horsepower is not present in a powerful engine. Horsepower is rpm dependent. At 1000 rpm, a built small block that will produce 400 hp has less than a stock one, because as you move the peak upward, you also move the power band upward. The diesel is able to produce the torque required to move the vehicle without bogging down. It really does depend on the use, but quick accelleration is not your friend on the trail.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

sounds good thank for the input. I have 3 6bt trucks and love a diesel just not familiar with the nissan in these old scouts. Didnt want to spend the extra $ on getting a diesel if for my application a gas motor would be best. The truck will likely see most time off road and only serve as a beach cruiser or good weather(top off) cruiser for the wife. She is dead set on having a scout, which i think will be alot of fun to learn about.
    as far as lift, im not sure exactly what we will be going with but we will deffinantly want to run 35 if not 37s for most of the trails we frequent. I dont really want to cut the body so i will have a little bit of figuring what to do.