Thread: gas tank reinstallation

Default gas tank reinstallation

finally got my gas tank all cleaned up and painted and ready to put back in

whats the easiest way to get this sucker back in

it seems to me it looks like a pain to get the hoses connected while the tank is in the air and whats the best way to install the straps?

Default Re. Gas tank install.

I have usually used a couple of cable come-alongs under the tank hooked to opposite sides of the frame like a sling. The tank can then be lifted and supported high enough to get the hoses hooked onto it before lifting it into its final position. Or a floor jack with some boards to support the tank works to, just not as stable.

Quote Originally Posted by int1975 View Post
    I have usually used a couple of cable come-alongs under the tank hooked to opposite sides of the frame like a sling. The tank can then be lifted and supported high enough to get the hoses hooked onto it before lifting it into its final position. Or a floor jack with some boards to support the tank works to, just not as stable.

i will be using the floor jack method......with the tank completely empty, it will be easier going back in than coming out (with 5 gallons of fuel laying in the bottom)

i'm hoping its not a big pain to get the hooked bolts at the rear side of the straps attached.........do you attach the bolts to the straps and then try to slide the hooked end in? or slide the hooked end in first and then try to keep tension on the bolt while you try to attach the strap and nut?

Last time I did it, I was able to get the hook bolts in after the tank was held in place with a jack. Then I was able to get the straps on and nuts threaded by holding the hook bolts and straps together with my fingers.

The hardest part was getting my arms up in there to get the hoses hooked up.

Good time to find a kid with long skinny arms to hook up the hoses. Its not bad with the tank empty and a floor jack i did it by myself last summer

Default gastank reinstallation

when using the jack to raise the tank, consider using a piece of 1x4 to spread the pressure so the bottom doesn't get squashed in.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bennett View Post
    when using the jack to raise the tank, consider using a piece of 1x4 to spread the pressure so the bottom doesn't get squashed in.
    Bill
    i always use a block of wood

this scout sits really high so i will probably need a 4x4 or two just to get enough height from the jack

Quote Originally Posted by mudturk View Post
    i always use a block of wood

this scout sits really high so i will probably need a 4x4 or two just to get enough height from the jack
    I plan to use my Transmission Jack. It was under 75 at Harbor Freight a few years back, have only used it for one job...need to get some use out of it
    1971 Half Cab Scout II
    1968 Camaro
    2001 Silverado Z71
    2007 Softtail deluxe
    1988 Sportster Custom rigid frame