Thread: Need Trans Info

Question Need Trans Info

I have what I am told is a 1979 345 that is alleged to never have been rebuilt. This thing is great, runs like a fat kid chasing the ice cream with a $20! I managed to only pay $50 for it, but the guy that sold it to me totaled his truck trying to deliever it... one of Those stories... anyway, this is supposed to go in my wife's truck, so I'm trying to figure out about a good 2-wd Auto trans for her. It is my suspicion that the Torqueflite727 is what I need, since I'm yet to hear of any other Autos out there...was wondering if the Dodge TF's were a direct swap of if there was something different about the IH's....Bolt pattern? I've heard (unconfirmed) rumors of there being an AMC bolt pattern, a Dodge bolt pattern, and an IH bolt pattern...also rumors (again, unconfirmed) of an IH bolt pattern 345 and an "industrial" bolt pattern 345. This is more of a budget build than a numbers matching resoration, So I'm even willing to use a transmission from another breed of truck as long as it has the beef to deal with that determined lil' 345 monster. Clearly I'm a total Noob when it comes to the glorious International. So I'll take any and all advice, criticisim, and guidance....some with a grain of salt, of course.

Thanks!

it's a 727 tranny guts with an IH case. i really don't know any conversions that you can do i am sure someone will else will help

2wd transmissions for scouts were also present in travelalls, pickups, and 2wd scouts from 73-80.

TF727s were single cast, so the bell housing patterns are different for whatever they bolt to. You can not mate an IH engine to a small block chrysler, big block chrysler, AMC or other 727 pattern.

They aren't that hard to find.

The tailshaft housings for all the different 727s interchange, be it 2wd, jeep, scout, or what have you, so if you found one with a different output, it could be swapped. The transmission must be disassembled for this. It's not just a quick swap, but any t-case or 2wd application can still be accomplished behind an IH engine in this manner.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks, Yall! Now I just need to hunt me up one I can afford...

Did hear Rumor of a TH400 adaptor, but no amount of googling has produced it yet. I suspect the Tooth Fairy and Bigfoot are holding it hostage somewhere.

i believe one of the lightline vendors used to carry the turbo 400 adapator but i can remember or try advanced adaptors