Thread: 1952 International truck 6 Cylinder?

Default 1952 International truck 6 Cylinder?

Hello,

New here. I am looking for information about my 1952 International truck. It has the inline 6 cylinder. It looks like the chevy 6 but it's backwards. The exhaust is on the passenger side and the spark plugs are on the driver's side.

Can anyone tell me about this engine and where I can find parts to get it rebuilt? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QSilverC View Post
    Hello,

New here. I am looking for information about my 1952 International truck. It has the inline 6 cylinder. It looks like the chevy 6 but it's backwards. The exhaust is on the passenger side and the spark plugs are on the driver's side.

Can anyone tell me about this engine and where I can find parts to get it rebuilt? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    On the right side of the engine, near the head, in the front of the block, the engine size and type is stamped. For example, BD 220 for a Black Diamond 220.

IH used this same bell housing pattern for a long time. The 220, 240, and 264 engines were eventually replaced by the same size in Silver Diamond (SD) and then Blue Grey (BG) 221, 241, and 265 engines. They were used through 68. All of them interchange, but that's as whole engines, not the small parts.

You can get a manual from www.binderbooks.com on the L series pickups. The specs are in the manuals. Rebuild kits are still available from NAPA and other places.

These engines have continuous duty rpm ratings at 3400. The torque curve is very flat, reaching peak at 12-1400 rpms. Not a lot of h.p. due to the low rpms, but very good torque. That engine will move the truck up to about 70 mph, but normal cruising speed is 45-55.

This is a very durable engine. Rebuild it and it will probably out last you by many years. It has solid lifters, so you will need to adjust them every so often.

Get the manual. It's worth its weight in gold.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hello,

Thank you so much for the information. I will look into the manual.

Thanks again,
    Steve