Thread: Ignition problem

Default Ignition problem

Alright guys, heres the problem...just put a new dizzy into my SII with the inline 258...dropped a ballast resistor into the wiring before it gets to the coil. Now the funky part is this: I don't run my ignition wiring through the original dash wiring, instead I run a wire from the battery to a switch in the dash, then from there to the coil...the only problem that I have is I can't get the motor to start unless I roll start it down a hill. With the resistor inline could I not be getting enough voltage to the coil for the initial cranking/starting of the motor? Ideas/suggestions here would be greatly helpfull...Thanks in advance.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    Alright guys, heres the problem...just put a new dizzy into my SII with the inline 258...dropped a ballast resistor into the wiring before it gets to the coil. Now the funky part is this: I don't run my ignition wiring through the original dash wiring, instead I run a wire from the battery to a switch in the dash, then from there to the coil...the only problem that I have is I can't get the motor to start unless I roll start it down a hill. With the resistor inline could I not be getting enough voltage to the coil for the initial cranking/starting of the motor? Ideas/suggestions here would be greatly helpfull...Thanks in advance.
    The voltage that feeds the coil from the key switch goes away when you are in the "start" position. You need a second feed from the START terminal on the key switch to feed the pertronix.

You only need a ballast resistor if the primary of the coil is less than 1.5 ohms. The stock scout coil should be 1.5 ohms, so it would not be necessary.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak