Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 1972 scout.

Red face Just bought a 1972 scout.

I just purchased a 1972 International Harvester, Scout 2. It has a small block Chevy 350 (not sure if its the original engine or not) it has a 4 speed transmission, and the motor has a rv style cam hei distributor and some nice intake and a edlebrock carb. It has a 6 " spring over axle lift with shackle reverse up front and extended shackle in the back.

LOTS OF PICTURES WILL BE COMING SOON, once i get my camera working

Questions:
    1. What is the original engine?

2. What all should i do? Does anyone have a nice link to a list, or a nice list they compiled them self of what all to do when you first get a 4x4... or a vehicle in general? or a specific one for a scout2 would be best but im not expecting much :P

And i mean like, what fluids to change, what should i open and check, what are common parts that go bad, etc etc. What gaskets / belts and chains should be replaced and all that.

Thanks in advance and As this is my first post, and my first international scout project id like to say Hi

A ScoutII NEVER came stock with a chevy 350, the stock motors that came in the '72 SII's were 232, 258, 304 and 345. The 232/258 were inline 6 cylinders made by AMC and the 304/345 were IH motors. For starters I'd replace the plugs, plug wires, change the: oil in the motor, tranny, xfercase, front and rear diffs also replace the gaskets on the diffs, grease up your U-joints and do a radiator flush to be on the safe side. Otherwise if you already have a SOA and reverse shackles you're on your way for a damn good wheeler. What front/rear diff do you have and what kind of tranny/xfer case do you have?
    Last edited by okkool77; 04-21-2009 at 03:51 AM.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I don't even know yet lmao.. yea i know, I'm having it towed over to my house today (needs some wiring done to be running) I do know it has a Dana 30 upfront and a 44 in the back but im not sure about the X fer case. Ill have to get under it when i get home from work and take a bunch of pics and start identifying parts :P I kinda just bought it on a whim to be honest.. Ive liked scouts for a long time and finally saw one that was in relatively good shape (but still needed a lot of work) came on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    I don't even know yet lmao.. yea i know, I'm having it towed over to my house today (needs some wiring done to be running) I do know it has a Dana 30 upfront and a 44 in the back but im not sure about the X fer case. Ill have to get under it when i get home from work and take a bunch of pics and start identifying parts :P I kinda just bought it on a whim to be honest.. Ive liked scouts for a long time and finally saw one that was in relatively good shape (but still needed a lot of work) came on the market.
    Those are stock axles for that year.

Take pix of the transmission and transfer case. On 4 speeds, most of the Small Block (or big block Big 3) conversions use the original transmission, which would be a Borg Warner T18 close ratio (4:1 low), and the t-case would be a Dana 20 single stick (2:1 low). Axle ratios were anything from 2.73 to 4.88, but most were 3.73 or 3.54. I've had a couple with 3.31 and 3.07, one with 4.09. The higher geared ones, like 3.31 and 3.07 were usually automatics, but that was not carved in stone. IH would do anything the dealer asked if it could be done without gumming up the works.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thats pretty cool.. I didn't know they were that custom. The guy i bought it from claims that both front and rear have posi limited slip but i wouldn't be surprised if this were not true haha

1. Is there an easy way to check the gear ratio when removing diff cover?
    2. Is there an easy way to also check if it has "posi limited slip" at the same time?

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm sure ill be asking a lot more questions in the next couple weeks / months / years as this is my first scout and only my second off road rig ill have built up.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    Thats pretty cool.. I didn't know they were that custom. The guy i bought it from claims that both front and rear have posi limited slip but i wouldn't be surprised if this were not true haha

1. Is there an easy way to check the gear ratio when removing diff cover?
    2. Is there an easy way to also check if it has "posi limited slip" at the same time?

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm sure ill be asking a lot more questions in the next couple weeks / months / years as this is my first scout and only my second off road rig ill have built up.
    Jack up rear end. T-case in neutral. Spin one wheel. Other wheel spins same way if posi. If not, open differential. Lock in hubs, repeat for front.

Gear ratio stamped on ring gear. Yes, you can look for posi setup, but you have to know what you're looking for or else it's just black grease all over metal parts.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

UPDATE : have pictures coming, I have alot of extra parts also he gave me like a whole other scout disasembled it seems lol, ill get the pics going tommorow once i get off work.

Ill have to jack it up and check when i get a chance, Thanks again for all the insight.

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/s...56_2436298.jpg

SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT and also for the crappy photobucket.. i cant post photos the normal way for some reason. Just dissapears... but yeah check out my 7 picture album and tell me what you think , as you can all guess ive jumped right in and wanted to get as much done :P 90% of my free time is going to this project and the rest is going to my 90 wrangler project haha

I have a pic of the x fer case (yes my front DS is missing i know, it needs to be lengthened haha) IF anyone has any comments or suggestions or identifications please feel free to chime in!

-Mike
    Last edited by WarlordX; 04-23-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Damn, gotta hand it to you...thats a clean rig from the outside. Whats the shift pattern on the Tranny and Xfercase? Unless I'm mistaken that looks to be a homemade wire harness...double check all the connections and sodder them if they're only crimped.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Nice project! Most of the big stuff is already done.
    I would start shopping for a dana 44 front end to swap in for the 30 you have. With that much power your likely to snap axles without upgrading. Also I saw you have rusty headers on the engine. They will end up cracking and leaking over time so you might try to find a used set of chevy manifolds or a quality set of replaicement headers. What you have now will get you on the trail but just something to think about. Again, nice project and happy wrenching!