Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carburator???

Default carburator???

now we have carburator problems other than that we still drivn it to school in the store there like 250 anyone local have a cheaper one?

Where is Castroville? There are folks all over the country that can help you out. There are also alternative carbs that will work on a 304 or 345, but we need to know if there are smog checks and things like that.

My first reaction would be IHOnly North, but their service is first rate and their prices are fair, not free. However, a rebuild kit for a 2 barrel carb on a scout is usually only about 20 bucks, and they aren't that hard to do with just a screwdriver and 47 swear words on the kitchen table (with newspaper). There is a LIST number on the carb, like 1710 or 6559 or whatever that you use to order the carb kit.

The next cheaper option is an autolite or motocraft carb that has the same hookups. Very easy to just bolt it on and go. The IH engine is not a racng machine. You need only get in the ball park with the carb size. (The smaller the better, and you use a 2 barrel from any American car or truck with a V8 except chevy, as long as it bolts on the same way).
    Last edited by Allan E.; 04-21-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Have to be real careful about putting an aftermarket carb on your scout here in California. I am not sure about northern California, but down here in San Diego, they automatically flag you when they see you have an aftermarket carb on. Dont know how many times I have heard from a Scout member looking for a stock carb.
    i would just purchase the rebuild kit and go that route.

Aftermarket carb's are not that bad in California, just make sure your body style is '76 or older and you don't have a thing to worry about. I'm re-building my 345 with an Edelbrock 650 and nothing but headers with straight pipe ending right under the doors...I've been pulled over for noise but never for an "Aftermarket Carburator" and I've been down to LA/Monteray/San Diego area.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

okkool77
    I didnt say anything about being pulled over by the police. It is when you have to go in for smog and they see an aftermarket carb on your engine is when it causes the problem. Seeing as your rig in your signature is below the '75 cut off date you dont have anything to worry about.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

You got a point there, but isn't it '76 for the cutoff? Anyways NorCalPrincess..what year is your rig?
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

'75 is the cut off. If your rig is a '76 model it needs to be smogged.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Damn, learn something new everytime I get on this place. Thank god I have the older body style, besides everyone at DMV wouldn't know the difference between a '75 or a '76 even if you gave them the VIN and had it sit in their lap and call it Daddy.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

Post Thanx

it's a 74 cops don't even look at me in my truck all my life ive been pulled over for no reason n im talkn no reason the officer even says he did it just because thats how castroville is but in my truck they donrt even look in my direction its kinda good cuz i dont have insurance lol naw we dont have to smogg it the dmv was kinda pissed bout that but what can they do. it has a 392 in it sum 1 adjusted the carburator a lil n now we can go over 30 but it still wants to bogg out at like 45 they said just 2 not let it back fire it has no power going up hill but it makes it oh n 1st n 2nd dont work wtf does that mean? yeah but i was in seaside the other day n sum guy said he thought he was the only one with an Ih he has a 69 but it dont run he was surprised mine did! then he said it was a girl drivn that made it even worse what really blew his mind is that i told him ive been doin the work on it well thanx 2 all u guys who helped out he said his had a chevy axtel on it n it was 2 wheel drive. mines 4x4 he asked if ive banched it yet but I need 2 fix it better first then maybe! im already part of ihonly north thanx! omg people cum up 2 me and ask who makes it it says international all huge on the back n their still all but who chevy ford lol i jus laugh n walk away it has the apache tires on it i trip out on that i want super swampers lol. i think ill just let you guys help me out with the carburator first then all the good stuff. whats an aftermarket whatever? castroville is the tiny lil space between watsonville n salinas.

The 392 did not come in scouts. This means that your engine is not stock. 392s were used in pickups and travelalls and loadstars and cargostars and otehr medium duty IH trucks. Not scouts...

.... and that really makes a difference.

There are many things that can cause the symptoms you have, but it really helps to have the right information. Telling you which carb to use, for example. The 392 most likely has a 4 barrel manifold, although a 2 barrel manifold from a 345 could have been swapped on.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak