Thread: New sender, new fuel pump, idles but stalls after driving a block

Angry New sender, new fuel pump, idles but stalls after driving a block

So I bought a 79 with a 345. Supposed rebuilt and daily driven. Couple days later it acted like it ran out of gas. First I thought the sender was broken and floating to the top so I replaced that. No good. Couldn't get it to continue an idle so I feed it gas from a can on the ground. No good there either. After I lifted it to a higher elevation than the fuel pump it could idle. So I assumed poor pump performance and replaced that. That definitely helped. Now with the can way lower than the pump it can still idle. I put it all back together and thought I was done. When I drove it around the block it quit on me again. If you wait 20 minutes you can get it started enough to drive half a block but it will eventually die as if it is out of gas again. I am running out of ideas and getting frustrated. Does this scenario sound familiar to any one? Any help would definitely be appreciated.
    Last edited by jtl1100; 04-27-2009 at 03:00 AM.

1. Clogged or broken pickup tube to tank.
    2. Pinhole in fuel line from tank to pump.
    3. Pinched fuel line between tank and pump.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I have little faith from so many times I have been stranded and disappointed however, it seems to be cleared up now. I will be more sure after I have put many more moiles on it with out atalling. Here is all that I did. I put on a new fuel pump, dropped the trank and checked the sender. no issues there. after the fuel pump i disconnected the fuel line before the carb and stuck it in a coke bottle, turned over the starter a few times to make sure it was pumping gas in. It was. Next I checked the small filter in the Rochester Quadra. It was clogged as can be so I replaced it too. Now it ran longer but it dropped me again after a mile. The battery never was very strong and I often had to jump it. I also figured there is a possibility of the coil going bad since sometimes they work fine until hot before they completely need to be replaced. I checked for spark and it seemded weak. I figured weak battery and weak spark. So I replaced all that. So Here is the list of all that was replaced. Usually I figure one fix one problem but each little thing improved something so i guess all were needed.

inline fuel filter
    carb fuel filter
    sending unit (not really necessary except for gas guage function)
    ignition coil
    fuel pump
    starter

I really think the coil was the worst offender.

Hope this helpes others as well.