Thread: Scout carburator 196 C.I. (A better Carb?)

Default Scout carburator 196 C.I. (A better Carb?)

Hi,
    I just swapped a 196 into a 1963' 80. I'm down to the brass tacks and was wondering if there is a good aftermarket or OEM carburator that is better for performance than the stock 1 bbl unit. The engine is pretty much stock with the exception of a bore and headers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default re: Scout carburator 196 C.I. (A better Carb?)

Not sure about performance gains or aftermarket but I found one over at BFIC

email from vendor:

1 barrel Holley carb for the 1978 scout ll with the 196 engine.

Yes, we have an excellent quality remanufactured 1 barrel Holley carburetor for the 1978 scout ll. This carb is our Part #1266 , which is the stock original equipment model.

Your cost for the #1266 carburetor is $195.00 , plus a refundable $60.00 core deposit and $16.00 shipping via UPS Ground. Total, before core refund, is $271.00.

For the $60.00 core refund, you'd put a copy of our invoice with your original carburetor, pack them in the same box used to ship your new carb, and send to us at BFIC / Carbsonly, 1617 W. Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, CA 91506.

To order, or for more information, call us Toll-Free @877-333-3130, or FAX to 818-841-7887. Or use the secure order form on our website, in FAQ's. Simply click on http://www.carbsonly.com/index/faqs.htm and scroll to the order form.

Our Service Center and Showroom in Burbank, CA are open Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, West Coast Time. We accept all major credit cards, money orders and checks drawn on US banks. It will be a pleasure to serve you.

HTH

Some folks are using a progressive Weber, but I don't remember the size. Figure 196 cubes at less than 4000 rpms, it would be about 170 cfm, maybe a little more if somebody opened up the exhaust ports to take advantage of the header and increased the valve spring pressure to keep the valve train from floating.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak