Thread: gunna buy a scout

Default gunna buy a scout

im going to go look at a 78 scout 2 tomarow and have never owned one. is there any inherent probs i should look for. it has a 345v8 and apears to be stock, Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by justjosh View Post
    im going to go look at a 78 scout 2 tomarow and have never owned one. is there any inherent probs i should look for. it has a 345v8 and apears to be stock, Thank you
    Aside from rust? Not really. A properly cared for 345 goes 300K miles.

Most of the scouts (and pickups and travelalls) I have bought with 345s in them had 304s. Hard to tell the difference if you're not used to them, since the 304 is as big as a big block chevy or chrysler. Not a big deal, certainly not a deal breaker, as the 304 is also strong enough for a dump truck and gets better economy when properly tuned.

Check to see which carb it has on it. I'm having monday morning brain freeze, but I think the 78 w/345 has a 4 barrel carb. The 304 never came from the factory with a 4 barrel.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the info

My 78 345 came with a 2 barrel Holley 2110 carb stock. So they might have changed over to the 4 barrel later in the production year. Either way, the 2 or 4 barrel work fine, however the stock 2 barrel Holley 2110 carb is crap.

I've owned three thus far, learned a little more with each purchase. That's the great thing about Scouts, a little tinkering and some TLC and they will go a long, long way! Relatively easy to work on as well...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarScout View Post
    My 78 345 came with a 2 barrel Holley 2110 carb stock. So they might have changed over to the 4 barrel later in the production year. Either way, the 2 or 4 barrel work fine, however the stock 2 barrel Holley 2110 carb is crap.
    Thanks. The 4 barrels started in 79, then. I hate being old and not being able to remember details....
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default 304/345 identification

I too am going to look at a scout tomorrow. It's a '77. How can I id the engine as 304 or 345? Where should I look for stamping etc.? Thanks

On engine block .. Right side..should be stamped on there. Good luck to you...everything else is just a car.