Thread: Door adjustment

Default Door adjustment

Newbe here. My doors latch too far out as in the stricker plate seems to far out so the door isn't pulled tight and it makes noise when I drive. You can also tell that it is too far out because the line from the door metal compared to the body metal on the rear qp is too far out. What is the method for fixing this. Can the strike plate be adjusted, moved inward? Is there supposed to be a plastic ring on the post of the strike plate that I am missing? I don't know what it should look like so I am not sure if I should move the strike plate or find a ruing for the post. By the way new weather stripping would be good but beyond that the door is oriented too far out to be aligned by just doing that.

Default door adjustment

The door latch mechanism will have 2 'clicks' when closing. When your door is closed, do you hear it click one time or two? The part on the door post is moveable by loosening the screws in the piece. If the catch on the post is set too far 'in', the latch mechanism inside the door will only click the one time leaving the door partially open where it can bounce and rattle. When the setting is correct, the doors should not need to be 'slammed'!
    Bill Bennett 68 Travelall 1100 4X4

Oh man that's awesome. I just checked and there is only one click even if i slam it to heck. My passenger door does shut flush and has two clicks. I will adjust that as soon as the rain lets up. It will be a releif not being rained on through the top corner any more. Thank you Bill.

Joe

awesome post. my passenger closes okay, but driver door hangs way out even when 'slammed' too - had no idea as per "two clicks" adn this adjustment. thnx again for this awesome post!

another thing you can do is when adjusting at the hinges, keep the door panel off and when you close the door and it is flush the way you like it, get in from the other side and tighten the bolts with the door closed.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers