Thread: Newbie with question

Default Newbie with question

Hi. I've inherited my Dad's 1980 Scout II Traveler. He bought it new back in 1980 and over the years he kept it in good mechanical condition but he did not take care of the rust. We have been offered $500 for it (it runs good but looks horrible). Is this a fair offer?

It depends on how well it runs and where you live.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Would recommend doing a little homework like looking through the classifieds and or craigslist to see what there going for in your area, prices can vary significantly. Some folks have put so much money into rebuilding them that they won't easily part with them while others just want them gone ...

I have to agree with Allen. It depends on where you live and how well it runs. It also depends on the "amount" of rust is on the vehicle. It also depends on what kind of modifications if any where done to it.
    Where you located at? Are you able to post pictures? If in the southern california area like San Diego or so i wouldnt mind coming to look at it.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Default Thank you

I'm located in Southeast Missouri. The Scout had a new transmission in 2006 and he had the motor replaced in 2002. She runs like a top.
    Rust is pretty bad on bottom - he covered with duct tape and painted over it.
    Have pics but can't get them to upload. As soon as I figure it out will submit.

If you just want to sell it and be done with it, 500 is a fair price. Parting it out would get you more than that, but then you'd have to dispose of the rest, and it's a lot of work to yank the engine, axles, transfer case, steering column, top, interior, and all that stuff. If somebody has cash and you're not interested in the vehicle, know that it will be going to somebody who appreciates it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak