Thread: New Here

Talking New Here

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this bulletin and I hope ya'll can help me out! First down and dirty, I have a 67 Scout 800a with some brake issues. Now I am a fairly competent shade tree mechanic, but how the heck do you get the rear drums off ? Is there a special tool ? A magic trick ? what ? Second I am also working on the the lights I have the rear lights working when I turn on the headlights I even have the turn signals working, but alas no brake lights does any one have any ideas? Please any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this legal by July!

Thanks

Rear drums are as generic as they get. They are either rusted to the studs/hub or the shoes are holding them in place. I just had to zap my drums with a mallet on saturday to get them off. Rusted to the hub, and also one of the studs was knurled somehow. Something was causing a burr. I used a dremel tool to smooth it down.

The brake light switch on an 800.... I can't remember if it's a button like the Scout II or travelall or a pressure switch. If it's the button, it's right under the steering wheel, and the brake pedal lever keeps it closed except when you push the brake. If it's the pressure switch, it's in the master cylinder. Short the wires, the brake lights should come on.

A defective flasher module can cause the problem also. So can a defective turn signal switch. It's just how the circuit is routed.

The 800A is the 69 model, by the way. The 65-68 didn't have letters. The master cylinder would be a dual chamber from 67 and later due to federal laws. Side marker lights appeared in the 68 models.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Talking

Can I use a generic switch or are they easily found. I just moved to The Washington area and I am not to familar with the autoparts stores here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jco View Post
    Can I use a generic switch or are they easily found. I just moved to The Washington area and I am not to familar with the autoparts stores here.

Thanks
    What part of WA? I'm in the tri-cities area, and there are many IH folks in the Spokane and coastal areas.

It's a generic switch, not hard to find.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    What part of WA? I'm in the tri-cities area, and there are many IH folks in the Spokane and coastal areas.

It's a generic switch, not hard to find.
    Im in the Tacoma Area any help would be appreciated. Does Autozone usually carry them?

Quote Originally Posted by jco View Post
    Hey Guys,

how the heck do you get the rear drums off ? Is there a special tool ? A magic trick ? what ?
    My rear drums were rusted on as well, I sprayed them down with some penetrating oil and let them sit for a bit, then used some gentle leverage with a flat head and a rubber mallet and they popped right off.

Default Brake probs

Ok I used to live in tacoma, Best parts places there were napa on 12th st. Dont remember the address but was 6 blocks south of 6'th ave, If I recall correctly east of proctor st. Then again I haven't lived theyre since 2002. And if the drums are badly worn enuf you may have to drill out the studs that hold the shoes to the backing plate(I had to do that on my 68 fury). As far as breaking the drums loose try hitting around the edges of the drum with a hammer to try to break it loose first.
    Last edited by Jcarlisle; 06-18-2009 at 09:30 PM.