Thread: 78 scout II Temperature Sender

Default 78 scout II Temperature Sender

Bring back one from a field after four years of sitting, wasting away... The wiring was pretty much shot so I purchased a kwikwire kit from jtoutfitters, the kit is almost installed but I cant seem to find the temperature sender on the 4 cyl 196 CU motor. I found this on the back side of the head just below the valve cover but have no idea what it is, any help?

Also looking for wiring schematics for the winshield wiper motor in addition to the backup light switch and neutral safety switch, did they have neutral safety switches in manual transmissions in 78?

thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Manuel's do not have a neutral safety switch, unless you want to call the pedel at the floor your switch.
    Best advise i can give ya since i don't know about a 4 cyl engine is to purchase a service manual for your scout from binderbooks.com.
    Also, you sure you have a '78? I don't recall every reading or seeing a '78 come with a 4 cyl. All the ones I have seen had the V8's (304, 345), but could be mistaken too, it wont be the first time.
    Last edited by 78ssii; 04-28-2009 at 02:12 AM.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

The title says 1978, VIN's match from title to VIN panel in passenger door, although the manufacture date is like october or november of 77. I think it is a Scout II Terra as is has the bulkhead and short truck top on it. Thanks for the reply!

I just tore apart a 196 from a '66 and the temperature sender was near the thermostat neck at the intake manifold. I don't know what that is you showed a picture of. They may have moved it, but most of the sending unit's I've dealt with are all one wire units.

As for the NS switch, the manuals are absent, no need for them back then. The reverse light switch has 2 wires and is located on the top of the trans (normally). If you pull the cover and find a 2 prong electrical lookin thing with a nut, that's your reverse switch. It's the same switch as utilized for neutral safety switch's and can be replaced from NAPA (sorry, don't have the part number handy), but I will recommend you get their electrical book out and match it up; it doesn't show in the computer.

http://www.binderblues.com/main/techinfo.html has some wiring diagrams that may help until you get a book ordered up.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information, will check there tonight when I get back to the ranch!

Well, still can't find it, any help appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by 78ssii View Post
    Manuel's do not have a neutral safety switch, unless you want to call the pedel at the floor your switch.
    Best advise i can give ya since i don't know about a 4 cyl engine is to purchase a service manual for your scout from binderbooks.com.
    Also, you sure you have a '78? I don't recall every reading or seeing a '78 come with a 4 cyl. All the ones I have seen had the V8's (304, 345), but could be mistaken too, it wont be the first time.
    The AMC 6 cylinder took the place of the 196 after only a few years. IH brought the 196 back in the mid 70s when they realized it would be easier to set it up to use the same bell housing as the V8 scouts, thereby eliminating the need for specialized bell housings, clutches, etc. They also realized that for most purposes, the 196 would do the job of the AMC engine and last longer. The cost to IH was probably about the same, since there are so many parts in common with the SV series, and the 196 lasts a lot longer.

The Scout II 196 is "clocked" differently than the Scout 800 version, and it is also Improved Cooling like the post 71 392 engines. The intake manifold is different so that the carb can sit level, but you can still interchage the engines if you swap the manifolds.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

You got to love having a manual for things like this.

yes the picture is dark, but that happens when they reproduce the original service manual from micro fish. At least you can get idea of where to look on the engine.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Thanks Bill! Will look for it again this evening!

Thumbs up

Foud it, hiding there behind the coil just like the photo depicts! Thank you, thank you! thank you!