Thread: 1963 International C900 gauges

Question 1963 International C900 gauges

Can anyone tell me if the gas gauge, temp gauge and oil pressure gauges in a 1963 C900 pickup are 6 volt? Is there a place to find a wiring diagram for free? Thanks for any help.

The gauges are 5 volt. If you look closely at the back of the instrument panel, you will see a small rectangular can about 1.5 inches long (if I recall correctly) One wire is a positive feed from the key switch. The other feeds the oil, water, and fuel gauges in a daisy chain.

The sending units are 78 ohms on the low reading and 10 ohms full scale. This is all three. Handy, no? They are referenced to ground. If you ground out the wire to the temp sensor, for example, it deflects to full scale.

The can is a regulator that pulses 12 volts in a 40% duty cycle so that you AVERAGE 5 volts DC. It runs 12 volts until it warms up, just a few seconds, so the gauges come up fast. Then it starts to pulse. It's hard to read with a digital meter unless it has a really long sample rate setting, but an old analog meter works pretty well.

These gauges were used in IH pickup trucks and travelalls from 63-68. The same approach was used in scouts, pickups, and travelalls through 75, but the parts are different. They aren't that hard to fix, and the most common problems are the regulator failing or the sensors failing. The "ground the wire" trick tells you if the gauge is working.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

It appears that someone has installed some sort of adjustable voltage regualtor in the truck. There is an adjustment knob under the dash to adjust the output voltage. I set it on 6 volts and will redo it to 5 volts but I doubt that it pulses. Should I try to find the correct one? Where would I look? Thanks for you help.

Thanks the the help. I appreciate it.