Thread: new guy lift kit ? on 78 scout II

Default new guy lift kit ? on 78 scout II

i recently purchased a 78 scout II and i want to do a 4" spring under kit but i was wondering if it is worth spending the extra money for a skyjacker or superlift kit over th rough country kit that includes shocks for 200 dollars less. any info would be appreciated
    thanks
    ryan

I have installed a 4" rough country kit in my 74 scout. I am not happy with it as my ride is so stiff that I cannot drive. I hope this helps.

I have the 4" shackle lift from Superlift, I love it. The only thing is I'm not sure if they come with the extended brake lines, the guy who had it before me never changed em out, so once I put the longer brake lines on the ride got a whole lot smoother. Hope this helps some.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Default lift

I ordered a rough country lift once and sent back the springs when I realized that the springs were 2" and the shackles were 2". I'm not sure if they still do that or not.
    I ended up installing a skyjacker 4" lift that I really liked. Soft ride, for lift springs, good flex, and stable. I did like the heckethorn shox that came with the rough country lift and have put them on several vehicles since that first set.

talked with top gun customz today and they said that the rough country ride would be the same as superlift or skyjacker, i will spend the extra money if it meens i will have a smooth ride , i have used there kits on some jeeeps and some were ok and some were bouncy, just lookin for some more feedback from you guys thanks any more info would help

You say that you installed a Skyjacker 4" lift on your Scout. I installed one on my '78 and have multiple problems with front drive shaft alignment. Did you have any problems on your's. Its driving me crazy.

No I havent had a single problem with front driveshaft alignment. I've broken plenty of rear driveshafts and gears but nothing with the front driveline yet. *knocks on wood*
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Angry Skyjacker 4" lift problems

I installed a Skyjacker 4" lift on my '78 Scout. The first problem was that the brake hoses I ordered were too short. When I called them, they said that they fit. Well I had them in my hand, and they didn't, so I had some made that would. The second and most costly problem to date is that my front drive shaft does not line up properly. I took the Scout to my local 4-wheel drive shop and they said they could fix it (for about a $1000.00). Their solution was to buy a new axle housing and cut and reweld the mounts to the correct angle. Got it home and it looked good. Took it out to do some off-roading. Locked in the hubs and put it 4WD. At about 20 MPH and faster there was a VERY BIG vibration coming from the front. Took the Scout back to the shop and they said it was bearings in my transfer case. They said they could fix it (for an additional $850.00). Took it to the other 4-wheel drive place in town. (This guys dad and him used to race Scouts and his dad was the LightLine dealer here in the 60-70s, so he grew up fixing Scouts.) He said the angle between the front drive shaft and the pumpkin was fine. The problem was misalignment to the transfer case. He tried to put in a CV joint but it wouldn't clear.
    Has anyone had a similar problem???
    Does anyone have a solution???
    I NEED HELP PLEASE!! I've spent the last 6 years trying to get this truck just right so I can go play when I retire. I don't know what else to do.

I've used the rough country before... couldn't justify spending an extra 300.00 no matter how "smooth" the ride was going to be. I always figured it was a lifted truck... how "smooth" can the ride actually be? I just learned to deal with it, and not hit too many pot holes in the road.