Thread: no brakes ? new booster and master

Default no brakes ? new booster and master

just bought 78 scout and the booster and master were just replaced but there are no power brakes, poss bad booster or check valve what do you think?

Would start with checking the booster vacuum line, is it connected to the booster and outlet on the engine, any leaks in vacuum system? Have you bleeded them yet?

Assuming you're not dumpint fluid all over the ground, if your pedal is going to the floor, you have no pressure. If your pedal is hard to push, your booster is not working right. If you have good pedal and no brakes, chances are the problem is at the wheels. Assuming you have no pedal:

1. Bleed master cylinder.
    2. Check master cylinder using pipe plugs where the lines attach. If you have no pressure, master cylinder is bad.
    3. If master cylinder is good, bleed out the system.
    4. Pull the rear drums and look. Check to see if they are adjusted right by checking drag. Adjust if necessary. Do not drive the vehicle until you do this, even if you think the brakes are working.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

it has an extremely hard pedal but brakes fine so i am assuming everthing is in working order except the new booster must be no good i am thinking

If you have good vacuum to the booster, your pedal should be firm, but easy to operate. I'd say you got it figured out.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak