Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here

Default Newbie here

Hey, my name is justin and I just got a 1978 scout II. I love this vehicle and have wanted one for a long time even thought I'm only 20. I plan to completly restore it and I'm sure I will need your help slot along the way so thanks in advance.

Welcome...now what motor/tranny/t-case does it have?
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Im really not sure to be honest. The woman i got it from said it had a 34v8 in it thats all i know

34 V8? With those 2 numbers it could either be a 304 or 345 both of which are V8's. The easiest way to tell the tranny is what shift pattern it has. And for positive ID on the motor look up the block casting numbers. The best way for the T-case is to crawl under it and look.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

sorry its a 345 v8. i am in the process of cleaning the 31 years of grease and dirt for the undercarriage and and the t case says dana on it i will look for other numbers. When i got the tranny filter from advance the guy said it was an old Chrysler tranny.

Not likely, if you have a 345 infront and a Dana 18 or 20 behind, my guess is that its a T-19 4 speed.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2

Default to the newbie

if its an automatic its a chrysler 727 with a dana 20 if its a twin stick transfer case it could be a dana 300 most common gear ratio for the front and rear axles 3.73 or 3.54 hey and helping is what we are here for. good luck

Welcome to the world of scouts. It is a fun hobby / time consumer to get into. Remember to search, search & search. There is a LOT of information out there. There are a ton of forums on the subjects and don't worry about crazy questions, most of the people will assist in any way they can to get you the right information.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Good luck & welcome to the Scout world.

Anything else is just a car...

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was aliytle worried about not being taken seriously cause I'm so young. But it is an automatic and ad far as the tranny that's just what the guy said and the filter he gave me was identical. I'll tryyo get some good pics of it and maybe you guys will be able to tell me more

The stock scout automatic for 73 or later is indeed a 727 chrysler. The IH engine has a unique bell housing pattern, and this version of the 727 does not fit any other type of engine. You can swap the internals from another 727, but the housing is unique, so you can't just swap one from a dodge or AMC.

The stock t-case is a Dana 20 single stick.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak