Thread: 69 chevy 4x4 front axle

Default 69 chevy 4x4 front axle

Im looking into getting a front dana 44 and i found one on Craigslist, will this fir a 72 scout 2?

Anyone have any input? And i can prolly get the front for 250-300 is that a good deal for disc and a 44 front end?

http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/1151734622.html

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    Im looking into getting a front dana 44 and i found one on Craigslist, will this fir a 72 scout 2?

Anyone have any input? And i can prolly get the front for 250-300 is that a good deal for disc and a 44 front end?

http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/1151734622.html
    Yes, it's a decent price, depending on condition. It will require steering geometry modifications to compensate for the spring over axle. The chevy axle is also wider.

My 69 had drum brakes on it. I was under the impression chevy didn't use discs until later.

The easiest stock disc brake setup is a 74 or later scout II. Not all 74, but all 75 and later axles will bolt right on.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Wink

What about this D-44.. I found a high pinion out of a 79 bronco for 350 ( might be able to talk him down) Has warn locking hubs

http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/1153408050.html

Thanks for answering all my silly questions
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    What about this D-44.. I found a high pinion out of a 79 bronco for 350 ( might be able to talk him down) Has warn locking hubs

http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/1153408050.html

Thanks for answering all my silly questions
    Ford front differential on left side. Chevy, Dodge, IH on right.

Even if you swap the transfer case to a ford style, the front driveshaft makes changing the oil a PITA.

A front axle swap of this type is a major undertaking. Steering geometry and linkage is not something you want to do half way.

I don't think they are silly questions. They are the same exact questions I used to ask. It's irritating to know there is simple information out there that is being implied, but like any other hobby, you have to learn to speak the language first.

Silly questions are about painting your scout pink to impress anybody besides your young daughter (only valid reason there is) or asking if having no air in the tires will make your battery go dead. Some people really are that naive, and some are simply secure enough to ask because they're not ashamed of not knowing everything about everything. This forum was put up to help IH owners fix their rigs and keep them alive. Jumping into a project vehicle that's at least 28 1/2 years old when you don't have a lot of experience with the brand shows you're not afraid of getting your nose bloodied. That's what being American is all about.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 05-04-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Haha scratch that then, well that narrows down my search.Ill keep it to the most simple as I am no expert.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.