Thread: have 80, need help

Default have 80, need help

hi, I recently got a 62 Scout 80 and am looking for some help. To get it driveable, I know I at least need to replace wheel bearings, wheel cylinders, probably redo the brakes and rebuild the slave cylinder. The engine had some work done on it by the last owner and seems to run good but the exhaust is not hooked up. It's hanging, just needs attached up front which looks like it shouldn't be too hard, hopefully.

I also want to lift it probably 2-3 inches (?) and throw some 31s on it until I get something bigger down the road and plan on eventually getting bigger axles but for now just want to drive it. Any recommendations on what to do for the lift? I have had a couple scouts in the past ('64 and '76 diesel) so I am not brand new to them but I didn't get too involved in this stuff with them. For now I mainly want to drive it but also want to try to avoid undoing everything I do now in the future, if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

There are some guys in Sonora Desert Scouts that have done this quite a bit with Scout 80s. They are having a club run on the 16th. The next meeting is in Tempe, second Tuesday of the month (May 11), at Monkeypants. I think you'd be glad you met these folks. Check out their website for more info, www.sonoradesertscouts.com for more information.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

thanks for the info Allan, unfortunately I am about 175 miles from Phoenix(Tempe) and 200 from Tucson, so anything going on in either of the only two actual cities in AZ is just about out of the question, especially during the week. I appreciate it though.

Don't dispair. There are binderfolk all over the place, including Yuma, the White Mountains, and all points in between. I'm from Prescott, and have lots of binders near Concho.

The advice about the web site is still valid. You need to ask more specific questions to get relevant answers.

Early jeep springs will work. I think they're 1.75" wide.

The tires you want are pretty big for the front axle, maybe the back. That 152 isn't exactly a powerhouse. Check your gear ratio. They came in 4.27 and 4.88. With the 4.88 gears, you should be able to run 31 inch tires with a little bit of lift. With the 4.27s, you need to stay smaller with the tires.

Dana 44 was a stock option in those scouts. The fronts are always Dana 27. You can upgrade to Scout 800 axles (66-71) without too much difficulty.
    Allan E.

I'm up in Pinetop, I will keep an eye out for other internationals. appreciate the info.

The guy who owns Fraley's Automotive in Show Low is a good person to get to know. Dan and Cheryl Fraley. Great folks. Let the networking begin.

Dan had is 1927 IH truck in some of the AZ shows, and took his travelall to the Nationals in Ohio one year. Both vehicles won the AZ show "Best of Show" in different years.
    Allan E.

thanks, I forgot about Fraley. One of his old IHs pulled my Chevy out of the snow a couple of times. I'll get in touch with him