Thread: pulling the 345 in 79 scout

Default pulling the 345 in 79 scout

I should have the motor out of the 79 scout today or tomorrow. I'm taking it out to re-ring and maybe do a master rebuild. It's been sitting up since around 96, so I'm just going to take my time and do all I think it needs to last a long time. It'll be worth it in the end. The body's in good shape, needs paint, but no rust. The interior in fair, mainly needs cleaning up. I'm excited about one day getting it going.

Excellent. Keep us posted as to what you find. Whatever questions you have, especially the ones you figure out on your own, make a good progress thread.

For example, you decide you don't need the smog pump or the tubes into the head, you find plugs, put them in with thread sealer (so they can be removed some day), and then you realize you want to port match the gaskets and get rid of the hump in the port to give better exhaust flow. Even if you figure it all out yourself, pictures and explanations are great for the new folks who are just getting there.

New EGR or carb or something needed? What part number did you have to use. You know what I mean. Keep us posted.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I got everything undone except the bell crank on the clutch and removing the starter. I guess I can pull bell housing and all out with the motor? I took the dust cover off under the bell housing and removed the 4 bolts holding the trans on, put a jack under the trans and undid the motor mount bolts. I should be to the point of hoisting er up. One little tip is for greased up parts and removing grime...dollar store oven cleaner. I sprayed the intake and valve covers and next morning... international red paint showing. Cleans good. I will start taking pics and keep a record of progress.

I always pull the 6 bolts from bell housing to engine, but either way would work. It's more work (and distance) to clear the input shaft with the bell housing, but if you pull the front clip, there should be plenty of room to do it either way. You still have to remove the bell housing so you can r/r the clutch assembly, check the rear cam bearing, and replace the freeze plugs.
    Allan E.

I got it out with no difficulty (unlike me) and will pull the bell housing and all then put it on the engine stand. I have yet to run into a metric bolt...mostly 9/16....This will be my first to do all this to. I'll take the camera home and start doing the pictures tonight. I hope the clutch is in good shape. I'll know soon....kinda exciting!

If you run into a metric bolt, somebody put it there after it left the factory.
    Allan E.

You can do a LOT of damage to a Scout or any IH with three sizes of wrench; a 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 as they are extremely common. I've found a few 3/4, but absolutely NO metrics in any of my rigs.

If you do find a metric, please post a picture of where it was located, I'd be interested to know about it.

Good luck with the build.