Thread: undercarrage cleaning.

Default undercarrage cleaning.

I am about the begin the task of taking care of some small surface rust issues and changing all gaskets on the my 78 scout. but first I need to clear out some earth. I have a solid 31 years of gunk, dirt, grime, grease..etc...on the underside of my binder. Any Suggestions?

Default mother earth

take it to a car wash with some car ramps put it up on them and hose away a cheap poncho would help or if you got a pressure washer do the same.

yea...I got that.. poncho..water...elbow grease...but I didn't know if there was a specific product made to clean off grime for undercarriages..ie..simple green..marine rinse..etc..that someone has used that has been "suprisingly effective at removing stubborn grime...
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

have used simple green it works okay when i rebuilt my 345 i took it to the car wash i sprayed cheap oven cleaner it took 2 cans but i think it came out okay.

The last time I looked, the simple spray on cold engine cleaner at auto zone worked very well for removing grime. I had an engine hangine on the hoist in the driveway and was just plain amazed at how well it got the crud off.

Oven cleaner works pretty well, but it will also take the paint off of everyting, so be careful where you spray it. That might actually be a positive thing if you're going to paint something once it's clean. I'm not a big fan of detailing to the N'th degree, but a fresh coat of high gloss paint makes it easier to clean the next time around. I do that to pretty much anything I remove to replace a gasket, such as a valve cover, diff cover, oil pan, or even an intake manifold, but it's not for public admiration. It's just that I dislike having to clean stuck-on crud.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

quality information...thanks guys... I will try it out.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8