Thread: New guy

Default New guy

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I recenly acquired a 1975 Scout II and plan on doing a restoration. It has the 345 V8 and D44 rear axle. I was told that the front axle is a D44 also. Apparently a previous owner swapped out the original axle for the D44. I became suspicious because I read that 1975+ Scouts had front disc brakes. My Scout has drums all the way around so I asked the person I bought the truck from and that is when he told me that the axle was replaced and that is a D44 up front. I would like to find out for sure but I have been working alot and have not had time to really do anything with the truck. I look forward to posting up and gathering all the knowledge and information in the future.

Bri

Yes, the 75 should have a D44 with disc brake front end. In 74, the axle could have been a D44 with drums or discs, or a D30 with drums or discs. You can convert it back. All Scout II front axles will interchange if you get new u-bolts. Check to see if you have the right master cylinder, too, because that changes when you use discs.

The 75 has a Holley gold box ignition system, and the XLC package came out that year, heavier springs to make the emissions requirements less stringent.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Yeah I was tinkering a bit last night and noticed that it does have the XLC package. I am not sure however whether the axle is a D44. I was told it is but I need to find a stamp or something. Is there an easy way to tell or will I have to pull the hub and count the splines? Any help is appreciated.

Look in the lower right corner of the housing from the front. It should have the number 44 cast in there under the dirt.

Also, the D30, which was the 71-74 axle, has a different cover. If the cover is exactly the same as the rear axle, it's a 44. If not, it's a 30, and there will be a 30 in that same corner. Find it on the rear axle first to make it easier.

Since it's been swapped, don't try the 4wd until you verify that the gears match front and rear. You don't even want to know what will happen if they don't. Guaranteed, your next words will not be something you want children or grandparents to hear.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

True. It will be awhile before the 4wd is tried anyway. She is in need of some serious work. I plan on pulling the motor and rebuilding it along with rust repair, bedliner in the interior, brake work, all new fluids, bearings, bushings etc. So yeah there is alot of work to be done. I have never owned a scout before so this is all new to me. I have owned a couple of 4x4's and done minor work but this is my "project". Thanks for the helpful replies Allen.

Brian