Thread: 196ci rebuild kits

Question 196ci rebuild kits

hey i was looking to get a rebuild kit for my 4 banger. i was also looking to get it bored out .060 over. but what im wondering is two things:

1: will boring it out .060 over make the pistons too close to the water jet?

and 2: if i got a rebuild kit for a 392 ( cause that's all i can find) will all the gaskets and everything work for my 196? and yes i already know that the inside of a 392 and a 196 are interchangeable.

Northern Auto parts allows you to buy the kit in pieces, so you only need 4 pistons.

You can bore .060 no problem.

Make sure the pistons you buy are not destroked. Some are destroked .020, which means you need to deck the block to compensate, because the aftermarket gaskets are thicker than OEM. I can't remember who sells the standard height pistons, silvolite or federal mogul.
    ASK, and tell your machinist to double check.

Don't forget, if it's an older 196, like from an 800, it's non-IC. Scout II is IC. Different head gaskets.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

so non ic.. that would mean non improved cooling? so like from this site..

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-reb...national.shtml

i would just tell them non I.C. and everything should be snug?

Default 196 Rebuild

You can get the gasket sets at Autozone(make sure you have the correct head gasket set {improved cooling or non improved cooling}.Take your old head gasket with you to make sure(they have pics on their computer).Pistons you can buy from ebay(392).Napa can get the bearings and lifters(con rod bearings are salty$$$).Have the local machine shop use a dial indicator on the bores to see how big you should go.sometimes they can order bearings,lifters cheap.Just get a standard type oversize piston(less hassle)preferably hypereutetic ones.I used standard cast iron rings in my scout for better seating in my honed cylinders.Hopefully your cam is good.Installing the cam bearings is a bitch(let the shop do it).Also they are stepped bearings large to small so keep the old ones marked (new ones are in correct order in the box).I test fitted them on the cam before installing.Lastly be careful with the oil pump(they make a rebuild kit only).I soaked the lifters overnight(don't pump up before fitting).The crank also has to be in a certain position when placing the head and valvetrain on the block.I got my clutch refaced at Ft.Wayne Clutch for $60(I had the rarer spline size).Good luck!

jeez thanks guys, when i finished with it im hoping to have a rebuilt transmission, and with my engine i hoping of over sizing it .060 over, putting a holley 2 barrel on there. with a 1inch carb spacer, put new lifters. im thinking just redo the whole thing. but thanks for all the info you guys have given me ill use it all

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    so non ic.. that would mean non improved cooling? so like from this site..

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-reb...national.shtml

i would just tell them non I.C. and everything should be snug?
    yes, if your water tube goes into the HEAD, it's non improved cooling. If it goes into the block, it's improved cooling. You MUST use the right one.

on the old non-IC 196, you can use a 345 head to boost the compression. On the IC 196, you can not.
    Allan E.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    , you can use a 345 head to boost the compression. On the IC 196, you can not.
    so if i buy a head gasket off a 345 it will give me more compression?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    so if i buy a head gasket off a 345 it will give me more compression?
    Sorry, I'm not speaking the same language as you.

You have not made it clear what age your 196 is. There are two types.

If you have an OLD style, called NON-IMPROVED COOLING, the 345 HEAD will bolt on to it. The head gaskets are the same for the 345 and the NON-IMPROVED COOLING 196. On this engine, the water tube from the water pump housing goes to the HEAD.

The IMPROVED COOLING is a different design. You can't do any of that. On the IMPROVED COOLING 196, the water tube from the water pump housing goes to the BLOCK.

Sorry that I wasn't clear before.
    Allan E.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    Sorry, I'm not speaking the same language as you.

You have not made it clear what age your 196 is. There are two types.

If you have an OLD style, called NON-IMPROVED COOLING, the 345 HEAD will bolt on to it. The head gaskets are the same for the 345 and the NON-IMPROVED COOLING 196. On this engine, the water tube from the water pump housing goes to the HEAD.

The IMPROVED COOLING is a different design. You can't do any of that. On the IMPROVED COOLING 196, the water tube from the water pump housing goes to the BLOCK.

Sorry that I wasn't clear before.

Na its OK its probably my fault i didn't specify, yea its and old style 196 its out of a 1966 scout