Thread: Setting up a Holley 1970 Carb

Default Setting up a Holley 1970 Carb

Hey, what's up? I have a 1978 Scout with a 196 4 cyl and a Holley 1970 carb. I had a lot of problems with the carb, so I sent it out to have it rebuilt, and I got it back and put it on, and it looks great but I know I have to dial it in.

Basically right now, the truck will idle just fine, and even drive fine in 1st and 2nd gear, but when I go to stop the truck it stalls out. Also, if you go above 30 or so mph, the truck will rev and back off, and then rev and back off.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good guide to setting all the idles on the carb and everything, I really dont know much abotu carbs other then the basics. Or if someone might be able to tell me what I might need to do to correct this problem. Thanks guys!!!!

Sounds like you may already have it right. Check your vacuum advance for a cracked diaphram. Just block off the advance port and see if the surging goes away.

It also sounds like maybe there is not enough advance. Just a little more might boost your vacuum somewhat. Do you have power brakes? Might be a problem in the booster, too.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the response. I really don't know anything about these trucks or older trucks in general. Is there an FAQ you might be able to point me too, or could you break it down a little simpler for me. I wound up getting this truck about a year ago, and I have a feeling that I got myself in way over my head. Thanks man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liftd78 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I really don't know anything about these trucks or older trucks in general. Is there an FAQ you might be able to point me too, or could you break it down a little simpler for me. I wound up getting this truck about a year ago, and I have a feeling that I got myself in way over my head. Thanks man!!
    Try the folks over at JustIH.org. There is an 80/800 section and many 4 cyl engine threads. I'm finding there is a lot of talent in the Washington/Oregon areas on these old rigs.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak