Thread: 800 232 fuel problems

Default 800 232 fuel problems

Hi Guys,

Just joined the group to get a little help on one of my Scouts.

It's a low mileage 71 800B with a 232 6 cylinder that I keep at a second home and so it doesn't get driven for long periods at times.

Because of this a while ago I thought it would be good to add some fuel stabilizer to the tanks just in case even though it hadn't really been a problem in the past. I added some SeaFoam. When I parked it it was running great. I had the fuel pump rebuild a few years ago by some guy up in NY plus I had installed a nos carbuetor about 2 years ago. Everything seemed fine but then when I got back in town after a few months and started it up it seems to have developed a fuel problem. It runs pretty well on the hi-way for the most part but I have to run it with the choke about half way out or it stumbles and runs really rough at idle most of the time. I've since run a few new tanks of fuel through it and added some techtron to help clean out the carb but it doensn't seem to be getting any better. Since it will run on at higher rpms I assume the fuel pump is ok so I guess something is clogged up in the carb.

I'm in a condo building where they frown on anyone even opening the hood so I'm reluctant to pull the carb and rebuild it if there is another solution. It's my only vehicle down here too so if I take it apart I will be on a bicycle until it's back up

Since it is a nos carb I doubt I need a rebuild kit for it but I'm not sure.

There is also no one around here that can work on anything that doesn't have a computer to tell them the problem, so it's up to me, which wouldn't be an issue if I was back in Kansas City at my shop but here it's a pain in the rear.

Any ideas? Who has carb rebuild kits btw. Just in case.

Thanks, Chris

The AMC engines are well supported by jeep sites. Clifford Automotive might be a good place to start. Those jeep 232 engines are still pretty popular.

If it runs okay on the road but will not idle, maybe you have a rotten vacuum hose.

The sea foam may have knocked loose a bit of rust or other crud in your fuel system. Might be you have a bit of gunk in the carb that you need to clean out.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hi Allen, Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I should mention that I have already checked for a vacuum leak because it is running like it has a huge one, but I can't find anything amiss.

Like I said if I'm on the hi-way it runs pretty good although the choke still needs to be out about 1/3, but unfortunately I'm in a dense metropolitan area where it's all stop lights and bumper to bumper stop and go. It drives me nuts and even dies unless I keep it revved up at stops. Tonight I was just shutting of the engine at stoplights because of the stumbling then restarting on green. I guess I'll have to tear the carb apart but I need a rebuild kit before I do that in case I need new gaskets.

I'll check out Clifford and if I have to Jeep sites.

Other thoughts are to replace the carb with a new aftermarket one or even go to fuel injection to make it more reliable.

Chris

If you are talking about Clifford Performance I've known about them for years but nothing speciffic on Clifford Automotive if that is who you arfe talking about. Any more hints?

Turn the idle up until it runs, even if it's 2000 rpms, so you can test it.
    Check your timing. At 2000 rpm it should be about 30 degrees advanced.
    Very long DWELL will also cause this problem, because the points aren't opening enough. Dwell should be no more than 45 on a 6 banger.
    Vacuum advance shot? Run it with the vac line plugged.
    Power brakes? Try it with the booster vac line plugged.
    How much vacuum are you getting?
    How much fuel pressure?

That's all I can think of for now. Could be a bad carb, but I'd eliminate the other stuff first.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

As for the rebuild kits for that Holley 1bbl carb, check out Scoutparts.com but be very carefull on your time frame, it took me 3 weeks to get the damn kit from them.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

If the sea foam knocked something loose, have you changed out your fuel filter? That could be causing fuel starvation, but it does sound like a carb problem, from your first post, it's not yet been rebuilt. Gum deposits due build up over time and can clog the internals. Rebuild kits are easy enough to get from Napa and takes a couple hours to do it right.

Good luck.

Without buying some test equipment I've checked every thing else out. The carb was new a couple of years ago so I don't see why it is acting this way. I replaced all the vacume lines recently too so it's not that. I don't have a brake booster. The points look good and the gap is within spec. When it's running rough the fuel bowl on the pump is full and clean looking. I don't have a filter except the fine screen in the pump. So I guess the first thing I'm going to do is take the carb apart and see if there is anything obvious.

The Holley has the numbers 4542 3349 and 398235 c (or g) 93 stamped in the top. Is this a generic 1904? Or do I need to be more specific when looking for a rebuild kit? Napa lists one for my 71 800 as a 1904.

Chris

OK here is the latest. I took the carb apart today and checked it all out and made sure all the passages were clear by spraying carb cleaner through them. Since it is a nos carb it is in great shape and nothing appeared to be out of sorts. However some crud (little chunks of something hard) came out of one of the main passages. I put it back together and started it up. Ran perfect. Idled at a low rpm smooth and revved up nicely. I thought everything was great.

Took it for a drive and imidiately noticed that it would still idle with no choke but needed about a 1/4 choke to not stumble off idle and run smooth at low rpm. I would also notice that if I was driving about 30 it would run w/o choke but if I pulled it out a little it would run better. Drove it about 30 minutes and parked it for about 90 min then drove it home. Same deal but now there is a slight miss at idle and it still needs the choke to run smoother. The miss doesn't seem like an electrical miss.

I'm thinking of other vehicles, repowering, fuel injection and electronic ignition modifications as I'm driving but I have never had so much trouble getting a carbureted engine to run well before and the 232 is plenty strong so there must a way to make it work with stock parts.

On with the saga.

Chris