Thread: Looking for some help

Default Looking for some help

I have a 345 and my mechanic seems to think I have a problem with either my coil or my distributor. He wants to replace both. I was hoping to get a suggestion on the best brand and model of both to buy.Thanks!

Hi Walt, I bought an ignition coil from Napa Auto parts. It works just fine and was easy to install. I think it around $20 bucks or so. What is wrong? Not firing up?

Is your 345 still stock? If so just pick up an OEM from Napa or Kragen. If you want to open up your spak plugs, go with an MSD High-Output Coil and run your plug gap around .045 -.050, hope this helps some.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Make sure you're NOT using Champion spark plugs. Autolite 85 or the NGK equivalent are your best bet.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Parts

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM CHECKER/SHUCKS/KRAGEN!!!!!!!!! I have gone thru more of theyre new/rebuilt parts than I can list.. They are all shit!!!!!! Napa is better but not great. just to name a few on the vehicles I own I went thru 6 starters on my explorer, 5 on my 86 f350 diesel, 3 on my scout, 4 distributors on my scout. too many alternators on all 3. in the last 7-10 years they have gone to absolute S**T!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcarlisle View Post
    DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM CHECKER/SHUCKS/KRAGEN!!!!!!!!! I have gone thru more of theyre new/rebuilt parts than I can list.. They are all shit!!!!!! Napa is better but not great. just to name a few on the vehicles I own I went thru 6 starters on my explorer, 5 on my 86 f350 diesel, 3 on my scout, 4 distributors on my scout. too many alternators on all 3. in the last 7-10 years they have gone to absolute S**T!!!!!
    You my friend are CURSED!!!!