Thread: heya everyone new guy here :)

Default heya everyone new guy here :)

hey everyone i am about to purchase a 1972 scout II when i get home from deployment.. I have been looking at lifts and all that but, i have been searching for stuff for a stereo and cant find anything one it speakers in them nothing. so if any one could help me out and lead me toward the direction of finding out what type of deck would install in it easy i would be very happy. Thanks alot

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by nutt_46 View Post
    hey everyone i am about to purchase a 1972 scout II when i get home from deployment.. I have been looking at lifts and all that but, i have been searching for stuff for a stereo and cant find anything one it speakers in them nothing. so if any one could help me out and lead me toward the direction of finding out what type of deck would install in it easy i would be very happy. Thanks alot

Tony
    Tony-

Thanks for your service to our country.

The easiest way to get a good stereo in a scout with bucket seats is a center console for the CD player and an AM/FM in the dash with an input from the (remote) CD player.

Speakers are a tough call, and it really does depend on how your seats are set up, roll bar, back seat, all sorts of things. That's one thing IH did not do, and 72 was before the auto makers were hiring engineers to integrate sound systems into the vehicles, unless it was mercedes, caddilac, etc. Remember, CD had not been invented, no personal computers, blah blah. It was the "old days." Come to think of it, VCRs weren't even on the market until a few years later, and they're already obsolete. 8 tracks were still popular, and cassette decks were still fairly new.

There are several things you can do, but it will all be custom work. Don't even bother yourself with it until you get back. Then you will be able to get some help based on real world conditions. Speaker placement really is the biggest issue.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Allan,
    Thanks alot ya i forget about all of that kind of stuff im only 22 so kinda use to elaborate stereo's and stuff like that ya i want to put a roll bar on it for a biki top for the summer since i am goin to be stationed in Jax Fl. But def. have to get a stereo in it while im out gettin dirty thanks allot

Tony

I put a nice stereo in mine not to long ago. Allan E is right go with the center console for the ease of installation and for security. Tuffy security products makes one for the scout. Also i would suggest buying Polk audio speakers or another brand that is marine rated so they dont fall apart if/when they get wet.