Thread: Another New Guy!

Default Another New Guy!

Hello all, Just bought my first Scout last week. 1975, 345/t19 is pretty much all i know as of now. from what ive read one here (which is a lot) I believe ive got the Dana 44 front due to the disc brakes, and I have no idea bout the transfer case. damn thing has a cable controlled low range and i guess full time 4x4 by just locking the hubs.. whats up wth that??? Owned 4 K5 Blazers and a couple jeeps and never had a cable controlled transfer case. i am pretty familiar with new process but this is new to me. im kinda old fashioned as far as levers and sticks i guess. So any guidance or information on this would be appreciated as well as anything else I may be missing. hell, took me 15 minutes to find the vin plate. im obviously a IH newbie.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Hello all, Just bought my first Scout last week. 1975, 345/t19 is pretty much all i know as of now. from what ive read one here (which is a lot) I believe ive got the Dana 44 front due to the disc brakes, and I have no idea bout the transfer case. damn thing has a cable controlled low range and i guess full time 4x4 by just locking the hubs.. whats up wth that??? Owned 4 K5 Blazers and a couple jeeps and never had a cable controlled transfer case. i am pretty familiar with new process but this is new to me. im kinda old fashioned as far as levers and sticks i guess. So any guidance or information on this would be appreciated as well as anything else I may be missing. hell, took me 15 minutes to find the vin plate. im obviously a IH newbie.
    Sam
    If you have a stock cable control on the dash for the transfer case, it's a single speed, high range only. Pull it out for 4x4, push it in for 2wd. Not very common, but they're out there. The hubs come in lock/free or lock/auto engage, similar to how a blazer works. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you have something different, it's not stock.

The stock 2 speed is a Dana 20 single stick on the Scout II from 71-79, and a Dana 300 for 1980. The D20s are not hard to find.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

So no low range! friggin awesome. well theres one of the first things to change. thanks for the info!

Yeah i was wondering what he was talking about .. You sure know everything Allan :P you never cease to amaze with your knowledge of international.

BTW so i poped off the d 30 cover im removing from scout A and a bunch of grease/oil came out, and also some clear liquid.. water im guessing? im not reusing the 30 so id ont care too much.. but any idea how it got in? bad gasket..? leaky seals?
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordX View Post
    Yeah i was wondering what he was talking about .. You sure know everything Allan :P you never cease to amaze with your knowledge of international.

BTW so i poped off the d 30 cover im removing from scout A and a bunch of grease/oil came out, and also some clear liquid.. water im guessing? im not reusing the 30 so id ont care too much.. but any idea how it got in? bad gasket..? leaky seals?
    Breather tube. Petroleum products attract water, or it could have been a water crossing at one time.

Save the hub locks and outers if you don't sell that axle. The will fit the replacement axle.

You should change the fluid once a year anyway.

I seem to know so much because this site gets mostly new folks, and the questions have all been asked and answered many times. There are other places where things get way more technical, and I have to aske the questions, too. Many of the sites treat new folks poorly. They expect you to just read for the first year and know all the technical answers so that you can be almost as cool as them. Not all sites are like that, but anyway, that's why I answer these questions. I've asked many of them myself, or wanted to when somebody else beat me to it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Allan - very cool that you are helping thoes of us traveling the Scout rebuild road for the first time. I'm working on a 69 Scout 800A. In the process of replacing the steering knuckle seals on front D30, I unbolted the spindle and the knuckle was full of wheel grease. I guess I expected the entire front differential to be full of 90W. Should I put wheel grease back or did someone pump into knuckle with grease gun because steering knuckle seals were leaking 90W? My manual is not clear on how things are lubricated.

I also can't find a breather on the rear D44. Does it have one?

I've really enjoyed working on this thing - my first ever rebuild at age 52. I hope to have her finished by the time my youngest returns from Iraq. I've named the Scout "Rosie"

Quote Originally Posted by TN800As View Post

I also can't find a breather on the rear D44. Does it have one?

I've really enjoyed working on this thing - my first ever rebuild at age 52. I hope to have her finished by the time my youngest returns from Iraq. I've named the Scout "Rosie"
    First, thanks to your youngest for their service.

Second, the breather is there, it may be buried beneath the crud build up. On another forum it was posted that the bolt holding down your brake line splitter (passenger side typically) is a hollow bolt & doubles as the axle breather.

I found mine on the top of the rear diff, it looks to have been added by a PO. Based on everything else I've found with my rig, I'd bet it isn't stock.

HTH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Sam
    Sam,

You could have a D30 up front with disks. They started them in '74 as an option. You'd have to check the axle itself to determine if it's a 44 or 30.

Don't worry about being a newbie. We've all been there & there are going to be things that you may know better than someone else. Each forum is different, and the search tool is one of the most useful things available. I know I still use it to see if a question I've got has been asked before.

Good luck on the project and sounds like yer off to a good start.

HTH

Bill