Thread: 1210 392 dying problems also

Default 1210 392 dying problems also

Have 73 1210 with original Holley. Idles all day once you get her started, but dies leaving driveway, stops, etc. Really have to feather the pedal to get it rolling. Starved for gas? Woud aftermarket carb be better? Has 29,000 original miles.

I would think the carb needs a rebuid. 35 years old means it sat for long periods of time. Carbs dry out, rot out, etc. just from sitting.

Still, hard to tell from this little information. Might just need the accellerator pump replaced, or an adjustment, or maybe the carb base gasket has dried out, or the vacuum advance...

Where is the timing set? Dwell? 392 (4 barrel) or 304, 345?
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

392. Electric choke had been added about 7 years ago when last cleaned, and gaskets replaced, before I aquired it. Haven't checked timing, but runs great after it's rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by rsjohnson2u View Post
    392. Electric choke had been added about 7 years ago when last cleaned, and gaskets replaced, before I aquired it. Haven't checked timing, but runs great after it's rolling.
    My guess is that it's been sitting too long. Try raising the idle first, or enriching the idle mixture a little if you have to.

Idle hot should be about 650, it may be the carb needs to be opened up and cleaned out on the highway. Might just be a simple adjustment. Might also be a hose dried and cracked, causing a vacuum leak. That would be the next check.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default help

my uncles did the same thing it was just the vacum advance on the dist needed lubricated pull the vacume line and give it a shot of wd-40 runs like a champ now