Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ethanol is gas bad 4 my seals 79 traveler

Default ethanol is gas bad 4 my seals 79 traveler

im look at a scout locally its a 79 traveler in great shape. but before i buy it i need to know if the ethanol that is added to gas will hurt my oil seals or any seals in the engine? if so please tell me what to look for because the owner puts in what ever gas in close by. so ethanol gas has ran in the scout. please help and let me know. i have read that the ethanol that is add to gas at the pump is bad for older vehicles. it has a small block 345 v8. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by muddbugg View Post
    im look at a scout locally its a 79 traveler in great shape. but before i buy it i need to know if the ethanol that is added to gas will hurt my oil seals or any seals in the engine? if so please tell me what to look for because the owner puts in what ever gas in close by. so ethanol gas has ran in the scout. please help and let me know. i have read that the ethanol that is add to gas at the pump is bad for older vehicles. it has a small block 345 v8. thank you
    The IH engines are not harmed by modern fuels. They are not like a small block engine of the era. Take a look again. The 304 or 345 are as big as a 454 chevy. It's all industrial grade equipment, steel forged crank and connecting rods, and the valves are hard. I've owned dozens of them over the last 15 years or so, and put hundreds of thousands of miles on them with modern fuels. Never had a fuel related problem except letting them sit too long allows the fuel to get stale.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Originally Posted by muddbugg
    To be taken seriously on these boards, use punctation and correct grammer. But for Ethanol enriched fuel to be used in a 345, I've never had a problem with it. These damn things are tractor motors, and they're hard as hell to kill. If you're worried about it, just run a fuel additive whenever you fill up your tank.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

what is the best fuel additive to use? also found out the engine was rebuilt a couple years ago. when the engine is rebuilt do they use modern day parts like seals, etc. or do they use the same parts used when it rolled off the line? thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!! and when i get a chance i will forward these post to my old english teacher to make sure there is no grammar problems!! thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Yes, you use new gaskets and seals when you rebuild the motor. I just rebuilt a 345 for a friend of mine and he's running regular unleaded gas all day long with no problems what so ever. I personally run Sea Foam in my tank on a regular basis, just mainly to keep everything clean and un-clogged. Otherwise when a motor this age is rebuilt, you use new manufacture seals and gaskets unless you're doing a restoration back to factory specs; in which case you go for a NOS rebuild kit. But that doesn't sound like your case; so if it was my motor, I'd just run plain old gas through it all day long without thinking about it and add the can of Sea Foam every so often.

Edit: When you say the Traveler is in "Great" shape, what do you mean and how much do they want for it?
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by muddbugg View Post
    what is the best fuel additive to use? also found out the engine was rebuilt a couple years ago. when the engine is rebuilt do they use modern day parts like seals, etc. or do they use the same parts used when it rolled off the line? thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!! and when i get a chance i will forward these post to my old english teacher to make sure there is no grammar problems!! thanks for the help!!!!!!!

The only difference is in the head gaskets. The OEM gaskets were metal, and the newer ones are composite. There is a difference of .025, so if you ever go to rebuild an engine, you'll want to tell the machinist so you can have the block decked a little. Some of the modern pistons are destroked .020 as well. Also a reason to deck the block. Why does this matter? Because the IH engine is so hard that you normally don't have to do this. I mean REALLY hard. The nickel content is much higher than a typical big 3 small block. On a chevy or a ford, it's pretty much an automatic thing, because the surfaces don't true back up. You shave them a little. The last 392 I did, I had to take .006 off the heads after 160K miles.

If I add anything to the gas:

Sea foam to clean the system out.
    Alcohol to get the water out.
    Octane booster so I can advance the timing and not have to change it back for low altitude trips. This one really matters on these older engines. Most people set the timing for no pinging and let it go at that, but having lived in the mountains for several years, it was a 4000 foot drop into Phoenix, and the pinging was there on the way home if I didn't boost the octane quite a bit. I won't do it any other time, though, because higher octane will rob you of money and give you no other benefit in an engine like this.

These engines will go 5000 hours in a scout if you take care of them. That is about 1000 hours longer than anything comparable, like a bronco, blazer, or jeep, from the same era. Keep in mind, newer engines barely do that now, and they have fuel injection to help keep the oil clean and protect the valve train.

The 79 scout was made when there was already unleaded fuel. IH did not have to make any changes to harden the valves like most everybody else. It simply wasn't needed.

The only upgrades you might find in components, valves in particular, are that the Loadstar engines had induction hardened valves. The 345 was used in dump trucks and school busses, and simply given a smaller oil pan and pump to use in scouts. I have a 304 in my 1960 fire truck. It lasted 47 years before I pulled one out of a scout to use as a temporary. The pistons I needed to replace the originals? Standard size, and that's after one of them was slapping horribly due to having been overheated. How do you find standard 304/345 domed pistons? I have to bore the cylinders .020 over just so I can find the parts. That's how hard these engines are.
    Allan E.

Default Ethanol?

Basically the ethanol will degrade the fuel lines(metal and rubber),fuel filter, and the components in your carb.Any grain-type-alcohol will leach the aluminized metals used in the manufacture of older car parts.The rate of degradation will be extremely slow so basically you can run this fuel.Secondly,ethanol(E85) is exactly that.85 octane.You might have to adjust timing to prevent pinging(pre-detonation).Thirdly you will have less hp power running with this fuel.Basically ok for running around on flats and mild hills.Unless you have excessive wear in the cylinders, valve guides and or a carb with a bad choke don't worry about the oil being contaminated.I would not go out of my way to buy this fuel.So-called "Flex Fuel "cars most likely have more stainless steel parts in their fuel systems as well as computer management systems to compensate for the low octane as well as for the ethanol fuel.Run it and you will see the difference between that and regular gas.

Don't run your SV engine on E85. It will eat up your fuel system and run like crap. Unleaded with ethanol no more than 10%.
    Allan E.

thanks for all the responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i won't be running E85 just reg unleaded with 10-15% ethanol. But there is two stations that have reg unleaded with no ethanol in my town. but i know the guy i am buying it from uses ethanol 10% at his local pump. so i just wanted to make sure that the engine could handle a low ethanol mix in the tank and that all the lines, seals, etc. will hold you and won't start leaking. thanks

okkool- the 79 traveler has no rust only 79,000 miles. all original. the frame is painted. and it has been repainted with rallye decals/graphics. i'm not sure if it is a real rallye??? but i can't find anything wrong with it. the interior is in show room shape all original. the shifter boot has a crack but i'm cool with that. the dude wants 5,000 cash