Thread: 2wheel drive converson

Default 2wheel drive converson

this might just sound stupid to a lot of you ih die hards but not to me so please refrain from your comments of how dumb of an idea i have . my question is does anyone know of a front independent suspension that would work on my scout its a 73 scout 2 and is currently a 4wheel drive solid axle i plan to make it 2 wheel drive and lower the thing as low as she ll go . i feel i have 2 options set my body on another frame non international cause finding a 2wheel drive scout 2 in the area i live in is out of the question . 2nd option cut and weld a front sub frame 2 mine . has anyone done this before if so can you give me any ideas of what will and wont work please and thankyou.

well since you really aint into keeping the stock look and feel, have you thought about looking at other vehicle front axles? You could always take a Chevy front and just cut it down to the right length.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Check out this post from skunkworks over on BP: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81201

There are a few links and other ideas that should help you with your process.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    this might just sound stupid to a lot of you ih die hards but not to me so please refrain from your comments of how dumb of an idea i have . my question is does anyone know of a front independent suspension that would work on my scout its a 73 scout 2 and is currently a 4wheel drive solid axle i plan to make it 2 wheel drive and lower the thing as low as she ll go . i feel i have 2 options set my body on another frame non international cause finding a 2wheel drive scout 2 in the area i live in is out of the question . 2nd option cut and weld a front sub frame 2 mine . has anyone done this before if so can you give me any ideas of what will and wont work please and thankyou.
    It matters which engine you have. Weight is a factor.
    It matters how much time and money you have, and how much fabricating skill. Changing a box frame into an IFS frame takes a great deal of skill. There is no "bolt on" because you have to mount the IFS in a completely different manner.

Anything can be made to fit anything with enough time and money invested.

Since your location doesn't come up on your signature, it's hard to tell, but it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 2wd scout and drive it anywhere in North America than it would be to slam a box frame scout unless you are already skilled as such fabrication and have a shop.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak