Thread: sportop 800

Default sportop 800

My question is I'm purchasing a 64 sportop from ebay .The scout looks like a 67 ,the sellers rude doesn't know anything nor does he have time for it either?,Well I think it's a scam because the vin doesn't match either.Any help would be greatly appreciated.VIN780902G206884 ebay posting 230341774589.ps vehicle is complete and runs I just don't know if it would be worth somewhere around what he's asking for it? Thks mike w

I dont know much abou the 800s, but the serial number provided puts it about a July 1966 build date.
    Usually, if you feel something is a scam it usually is. Stay away from it if you feel it is. There is always another one someplace that will be better for you anyways. Now if you are close to it or know someone that is, have them go take alook at and see if the serial number provided matches the one stamped on the frame.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

An 800 from 1966 is often nothing more than a dolled up 80 anyway. You're still looking at a 4 cylinder engine, although you may get a 4 speed out of the deal.

Getting the year wrong is common. If the serial numbers match the title, and match each other, the question is whether you want that scout for that amount of cash.

I've bought several IH scouts, pickups, and travelalls where the owner got the year wrong. On one occasion, an owner insisted that a truck was a 61, and the title agreed. No idea how that happened. It was a 1300B pickup, only made in 67. You just never know.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

i looked at it, it look just like a scout 800, you can tell by the gauges. but, possibly the guy doesn't know any better about scouts and is just trying to sell it

Sport tops started in '65. I just finished parting a mid '65 out. It is definately an '800 sport top based on the pictures. Serial number falls into the range of a late August 1966 to November (BP Wiki & quickvin.com)

Good luck with the purchase if you go thru with it. The seller is not knowledgeable to the year or model. It is a rare scout.

HTH

Bill

Default sportop 800

Well thanks for your folks answers.I decided to pass on this one due to seller ignorance,he didn't have a title and wouldn't look under frame. I also could not locate that vin number on wiki and other post by other members so its still sittin there. Thanks again for your support.

There a quite a few differrence between an 80 and an 800, dash, guages, non hinged windshield, beefier standard axles, door handles, steering wheel, grills, mecanical vs problematic hydraulic clutch, badging etc and a Sport Top is an 800 with a fiberglass top, and a bunch of trim and interior pieces to make it look "sporty". All of the mechicals are the same as regular 800s.

I bought 3 some years ago to get all the little parts to do one complete restoration and a decent secondary truck and one is even 2 wheel drive which I think is pretty rare too. Probably not going to do the project now. Too many other things on line. I'd probably sell them if you are interested. They are in Kansas City being stored inside.
    Last edited by sporttop; 05-18-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: more- better info upon reflection