Thread: Is anyone knowledgeable on '70-'75 pick up frames?

Default Is anyone knowledgeable on '70-'75 pick up frames?

I own several early to mid seventies IH pick ups with the intention of restoring at least two of them. After recently setting up a "get started" plan, I wanted to start out with the nicest frame. I have two '74 3/4 ton pick ups or "200's", a rolling chassis that is a '73 and a two wheel drive '72. One '74 and the '73 chassis are the same, ( frame that is, with the exception of the engine cradle and mounting system). The other '74 appears to be a bit different. The rear of the frame seems to arch up over the rear end, where on the others, it archs up but, then runs flat or straight out to the end of the frame. The "odd" '74 seems to only be different in the back section. It also doesn't have original box mounts on the frame? Maybe it's a cobble job?
    Did IH change the design in 1974 or is it a different model? Or is it even a IH frame? I've seen many poor Binders that have gotten the hack jobs in my area just because of the lack of parts here in Wisconsin. Hope someone can help, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scottmrauch View Post
    I own several early to mid seventies IH pick ups with the intention of restoring at least two of them. After recently setting up a "get started" plan, I wanted to start out with the nicest frame. I have two '74 3/4 ton pick ups or "200's", a rolling chassis that is a '73 and a two wheel drive '72. One '74 and the '73 chassis are the same, ( frame that is, with the exception of the engine cradle and mounting system). The other '74 appears to be a bit different. The rear of the frame seems to arch up over the rear end, where on the others, it archs up but, then runs flat or straight out to the end of the frame. The "odd" '74 seems to only be different in the back section. It also doesn't have original box mounts on the frame? Maybe it's a cobble job?
    Did IH change the design in 1974 or is it a different model? Or is it even a IH frame? I've seen many poor Binders that have gotten the hack jobs in my area just because of the lack of parts here in Wisconsin. Hope someone can help, Thanks!
    The frames were changed on the non-dually pickups and travelalls for the 1974 production year. This allowed the engine to be moved back 6 inches for better weight distribution. The exhaust manifolds on the SV series engine were customized for this application, the only time you will see rear dump, side specific manifolds.

The bodies are the same from the firewall back, that is, interchangeable, but there are minor differences in the front clip mounting. They aren't hard to overcome, just take a little thought and finaggling.

Duallies used the same frames through the end of production in 75.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for that input Allen E. I was always curious why they changed the exhaust manifolds. I have gone crazy trying to find these manifolds and have thought about switching frames just to overcome this issue.
    What do you think about the rear frame section? Both '74 frames are the same until we come to the rear spring perch where the frame starts to arch over the rear end. One of them archs up and then back down and then runs flat or straight to the end of the frame. The other one archs up at the spring perch, ( the same as the other), but does not arch back down. This one archs up and runs flat to the end of the frame. What do you think? they are both 1974 200's, or at least that's what thay are supposed to be.

The spring perches were moved outboard on the rear axle in 74. This was also done for weight distribution. As I mentioned before the duallies used the 73 frame. This frame was also used in the C1000 series models. All of the axles will bolt on from 61-73, and vary by brake hardware, wheels, and knuckles, depending on brake options. When the rear axle was moved outboard coincided with the addition of disc brakes to all of the trucks, but in 73, only the 1010 model (IFS) had them. Antilock was also an option, although it's so rare that I haven't ever talked to anybody who actually worked on one. I have a parts travelall with, and one without that option. I don't even know how it works.

You'll need to decide which frame to use and just go for it. Aside from the manifold issue, the 74/75 do have a smoother ride. I might be wrong, but my impression was that the weight distribution was part of more stringent safety standards.

The 2wd versions of the 74/75 have IFS, and the earlier versions could be IFS (1000, 1010 model) or leaf spring (1100, 1110, 1200, 1210 models).

I like the pre-69 travelalls the best, so my preference is actually to sell my square travelalls and get round ones. The square ones have better brakes, though, so if I run across one, I sometimes buy it and part it out or give the parts I don't need away. It's easier than hauling it to where I keep my spares sometimes.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks again Allen E. I agree that the last trucks to roll off the production line, do ride a lot better than the earlier ones! I've had a couple travelalls and a few scouts and still have all my trucks and I think my '74 t-all with new shocks rode the best. I have been trying to compare the old with the new, so to speak, as I figure out what I want to do with the trucks I have. I never noticed the spring perch location like you mentioned but, I guess that makes sense.
    There are not any people locally here that know anything about the pick ups. The most knowledge I've gotten is from an old IH dealer in Random Lake, WI. They have been kind enough to have phone conversations with me about finding parts and manuals and some troubleshooting. I am truly grateful for all the help I can get.
    I fell in love with these ugly old trucks when I was just a little boy. The feed mill a couple miles from my house used to sell them new, and I got to see a lot of them in for their services and repairs. I am not old enough to have seen them on the lot but, I do remember the last of the scouts for sale.
    It wasn't a big deal then but damn, I wish someone would have taken some pictures for me!!

Thanks again!

Scott Rauch