Thread: gear ratio

Default gear ratio

have 1973 scout 30 front/44 rear 3.73 gears in my scout right now. found front and rear drivetrain 44 front and rear but 3.54 gears would it change my crawling ability i realy care how fast i go just don't want to change the climbing rate but the 44"s have disc brakes. help

Default gear ratio

The taller gear ratio will make the engine work harder and your 'slowest crawl' speed will be a bit faster than with the lower gear set. Might help to know what engine and transmission you have and the tire size = diameter.
    Bill Bennett 68 Travelall

345 727 29 inch tire sorry about that

If you are going to keep your tire size It wouldn't really matter. I had 3.45s with a T-19 and 33" tires and found myself stuck in 1st gear some on the trail. I only have a 304 and can't say much about the auto tranny though. I would say do it, it will beef up the front end and you might like it. If you don't, it will get you by untill you save enough money to regear later.

3.73 to 3.54 will net you slightly better fuel economy and will do essentially nothing for you off road. You would get the same change by going to 31 inch tires for a lot less effort.

The 3.73 gears are better off road simply because you can go more slowly. However, to really make a difference, you'd want to go to larger tires and much lower gearing, like 4.56.

I would just get bigger tires the next time around.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    However, to really make a difference, you'd want to go to larger tires and much lower gearing, like 4.56.

I would just get bigger tires the next time around.
    Ha! how did you guess? That's exactly what I'm doing, going 4.56. After my rear pinion toasted I had no choice.