Thread: Newbie purchasing advice (smog and other)

Default Newbie purchasing advice (smog and other)

Hello,

I've decided to buy a scout and am new to the vehicle and older cars in general. I live in CA and am a bit concerned about smog (considering buying
    '78 scout). One vehicle of interest passed smog recently, but I'm not sure of the future trappings....if a vehicle fails smog, are there degrees of freedom to play with that don't cost too much? Are smog issues typically fixable with tuning adjustments or are cat replacements and/or other expensive hardware required? Generally, would folks caution strongly against a 1976 or later scout (in CA)?

I'm considering a couple scouts, one 72, one 78 and eyes open. Two top picks are 345's.

What major issues should I worry about in the scout II's? I've been reading for a while and nothing scares me yet but I don't have the time to do an engine rebuild (young kids). How much does this cost in a shop if I'm forced?
    Any east bay area shops recommended (SF bay area)?

thank you much, I'll be back with my new purchase soon!!!

hmm , i was juggling with the same situation. One question i will ask you, what axle does the 72 have up front? Mine had a 30... so i ended up buying it and another 76 parts scout that i jacked the roll cage, tailgate, front axle(44 with disc) and a bunch of other parts and i got it all for less than 500$

(the first scout was 2k)

But yeah i would suggest getting the 72 for smog reasons... I live in Cali and its SOOO nice not to deal with that bs
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Just as Warlord said, go for the '72. It will give you more latitude in upgrades later on with out the smog issue.
    As for smog issues, no there is not much wiggle room on it. And some issues can be a pita to fix if they are even fixable. Now if the '78 is the one that just passes smog, it could be worth going after it, but in the long run, you will not be doing much to the engine if anything. You cant even change the carburator as they look for the aftermarket carburator on your engine and tag you for it.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Default thanks

I'm currently planning on buying a late 70's scout II, if it passes smog, I'll take my risks. If it does not pass smog, I'll bias towards 75 of older.

Is the smog cutoff year a rolling number? If the car passes smog now and is good for 2 years, is it likely that a '77 won't require smog at the next smog interval?

Thank you for the help! Once I buy, I'll be back with questions as needed on the broken stuff.

Cheers!

Default Cigars for everyone...its a scout II

I went with the 79 and it smogged no problem. Let the fun begin...I have another baby.

Thank you for the help.

No, the smog laws here in cali are not rolling. they stopped it at 1975. You will have to smog it every two years. I suggest you dont change a thing on it as it passed smog now, it will be easier to pass smog later. Change something and you have the possiblity of failing the next smog run.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Default Smog

Yes it stopped at 75, IE you need to buy a 74 or prior to be exempt!!!!