Thread: 1958 International. a120

Default 1958 International. a120

i have a 58 ih but am having many problems with it and no luck finding parts. its a military a-120. and it keeps popping out of 2nd gear and its also raddling my shifter and the gears sound like they are grinding when its in NEUTRAL but it has no problems with 3rd and 4th. i never use granny cuz i dont pull anything. but if anyone could help me it would be very appreciated. thanks again!! - jehova lopez

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox005 View Post
    i have a 58 ih but am having many problems with it and no luck finding parts. its a military a-120. and it keeps popping out of 2nd gear and its also raddling my shifter and the gears sound like they are grinding when its in NEUTRAL but it has no problems with 3rd and 4th. i never use granny cuz i dont pull anything. but if anyone could help me it would be very appreciated. thanks again!! - jehova lopez
    Does it have a PTO hooked up? It would be a symptom of the PTO being partially engaged. Otherwise, the transmission needs to be removed and repaired. The synchros may be shot, or the gears just worn out. Chances are that truck spent much of its life in second gear.

If the throwout bearing is bad, and misadjusted, you would also get rattling when the clutch is disengaged. That wouldn't be coming from the transmission, but it could happen and be hard to distinguish.

The 4 speed in a 58 A120 is a Borg Warner T98. It was used until 74, and the 74/75 pickup/travelall 4 speeds are a bolt-in swap as well. They aren't hard to find, and there are parts for them if you do a search. The 2wd 4 speeds in scouts will also work, but 4wd scout transmissions are different.

While you have the transmission out, you may as well do the clutch, throwout bearing, etc.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

allen,
    it seems you are very well versed.....
    i am going to look at a 1958 A-120 (4x4) as well....really inexpesive and he says that it runs great...a "real work horse". I am new to this whole experience so any input will help me... Are there any questions that pop into mind that might pertain to this specific type vehicle? He told me it has the origninal PTO and a black diamond straight 6.
    thanks
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by epgeesen View Post
    allen,
    it seems you are very well versed.....
    i am going to look at a 1958 A-120 (4x4) as well....really inexpesive and he says that it runs great...a "real work horse". I am new to this whole experience so any input will help me... Are there any questions that pop into mind that might pertain to this specific type vehicle? He told me it has the origninal PTO and a black diamond straight 6.
    thanks
    eric
    The A120 is a 3/4 ton pickup or 3 door travelall or 3 door travelette. The 6 cylinder engines were used unil 68, transmissions until 74, and PTO stuff is pretty generic. The hardest thing to find on them is brake drums, which causes many people to simply upgrade to later chevy or dodge axles. The wheels are also a PITA. Same reaction.

Rust is found in all the places you would expect. Body parts are getting scarce. I'm looking for a t-all tailgate for one and a glove box door to the other one.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

thanks for the reply allen.
    it is a pickup so i guess it would be a 3/4 ton...
    the truck is originally from new mexico...has a few minor rust spots...

if the drums are the biggest pita......i suspect to start searching for them early would be a good plan....

Is the "black diamond" motor supposed to be pretty strong?...

i understand there are silver diamond, blue diamond...etc...etc....

also, he said the truck really doesn't like to go much over 50 mph....gearing is so low....

is that relatively easy to re -gear?

thanks again for your input.
    eric

Hey did you ever get a good connection on IH parts? Let me know. I sure need one!!! Thanks

Dave

Allen,
    do you know the lug bolt size, diameter of the pattern of a 1956 IHC 4x4 pickup
    i would suspect it is 1/2?", 6 lugs? on ? diameter?

your input would be appreciated.
    thanks
    eric