Thread: Help with carb problems

Default Help with carb problems

hey there.. i'm new to this and I'm looking for help or maybe someone can point me' in which direction to take.. I have a 67 scout with 2 barrel holley carb. Its been sitting for about a year until i got it out a month ago to start restoration project.. in that month.. i've replaced plugs and plug wires.. the problem i'm having is when i pull the choke out to crank, it fires right up and runs idles fine.. however, as soon as i push choke in, the engine dies... i cant get it to crank unless i pull choke out... i have checked for leaks around the base of carb but i dont see anywhere its leaking.. can someone give this novice mechanic any ideas to isolate my problem so I can get this baby up and running.. summer's coming!! thanks...

Before one of the senior members chimes in I'll tell you what I think since I have been dealing with carb trouble myself.

I'm no expert but it seem to me like the idle circut within the metering block/ main well is likely blocked keeping it from idling. You are bypassing this circut when you have the choke out which increases idle speed as well. I have heard that the 2 barrel Holleys tend to clog up. Will it run if you give it gas to keep the rpm up and push in the choke?

You could get a rebuild kit and take the carb apart and clean it out with carb cleaner and put it back together and see what happens and if it doens't work have a professional clean and rebuild it for you.

The guys are going to want to know what carb you have most likely so see if you can find the model numbers and google that to see what it is.

Read the stuff written about my 800B with a 232 post. There is good info in there.

Good luck.

hey man.. thanks for the response.. Actually when the choke is pulled out it will run and idles fine.. however, as i slowly push the choke in, it starts to backfire a little and i have to keep my foot on the gas peddle.. or otherwise, it will go dead, especially if push the choke in... so.. i don't know..
    i will check out your thread as well.. good look on your carb problems..

Have you rebuilt the carb? you could be gummed up a little and the choke out is just pushing the extra gas you need. I would rebuild the carb and install new fuel filter and then give it a whirl.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Talking

Hey Guy,

I also have a 67 scout with the holley 2 barrel. i'm getting ready to rebuild my carb because it is shooting gas out of the vent on top of the carb. My scout sat for about six years and i am getting ready to get it driving again. Hopefully we can help each other out with ideas.

By the way where are you located? I'm in Washington State. You can see pics of my scout on this site under 10 years in the making.

Talking

Hey Guy,

I got my carb rebuilt and installed today. I used a holley rebuild kit and it runs like a top. The kit's instructions were not the greatest, but if you have done this before it should be ok. The kit had everything you might need to get the job done. If your interested I will send you the part number for the kit.

Default Jco!!!

hello, I'm having the same stupid probs with my carbs, both scouts crapped out in one month. I'm runnin the 2210, do you know where to get the carb kit from? Thanks man. Happy 4 byin.

You should be able to order the kit from Holley or a local vendor. Do you have a carquest near you? I get most of my parts from them locally as they are very good with the pricing.
    I ordered a reman 2210 carb from Summitracing.com but the third is coming monday due to the other 2 being bad. If this one is bad, I will rebuild my old carb.

hey.. thanks for the reply.. sorry for the delayed response... i have been very busy with my project.. i'll send some pics soon... i finally got it up and running like a top and almost completely done with body work and primer... hope to get it painted within the next few weeks... i live in north Alabama... good luck and talk with you soon....
    chad