Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Me Or Is The BB A Little Empty?

Default Is It Me Or Is The BB A Little Empty?

I understand that this might be a bit premature, but will all the old content be making it's way back to the new Binder Bulletin? or are we all S.O.L.?

I naively assumed that we would have all the old posts and data at our access. I realize now I have no idea. Doh!

nows a good time to get my post count up so it looks like i actually know something

it is alittle empty, because everyone is at the new site b-i-n-d-e-r-p-l-a-n-e-t.com

Yes, it's a bit quiet right now but more will check back in over time.

I really don't think that they wil,l all of the old moderators from here are the ones who started the new site, all of the old information from here is on the new site, even our old user names are in the new site.

Perhaps the depth of knowledge, wealth of information and the talented people who have moved on with a new name will never be duplicated here again but everyones replaceable, to a point, and there's no reason why we should not give this site a chance to get going again.

Whatever happened, happened and we're just a bunch of diehard IH guys searching for info online and we should try to help each other no matter what site we happen to log on to.

Default new site

Quote Originally Posted by International View Post
    I really don't think that they wil,l all of the old moderators from here are the ones who started the new site, all of the old information from here is on the new site, even our old user names are in the new site.
    and my old password don't work here.

The old database was put on to a new site, or else the old database was modified so that a new domain name could be used. Since one of the admins was the web host, my guess is the latter.

Therefore, that would mean this is a new site with the old name.

Choice 1: The owner or owners of the new site bought the database and a business transaction took place.
    Choice 2: Something else.

I don't know the answers to any of that.

Somebody had control over the database when this happened. It was either the old owner or the people who have the database now. The old owner is not part of the administration of the new site.

Somebody had control of the server when this happened. It was either the old owner or the person who owns the server now. I would have to guess that whoever had control before kept control, since there seems to be a disagreement, but that would only be a guess.

If there was a disagreement with the old owner and the people who have the database now, did the old owner give up his access to the server willingly or not? If it was willingly, why start up the website agan under the old name from scratch?

Nobody on either site is saying. The only thing that is obvious here is that whoever NOW owns the domain name binderbulletin was not willing to part with it, had or has now control over it, and wants to have a website that did what the old one did, and does not have control over the database or server. Whoever is running this site is not saying if he/she/they are the old owner. The existence of the site says that somebody wants to run it. It's too much effort to maintain the database and run the server otherwise.

We can speculate all we want, but that's mostly all I can tell from observation.

The question is whether anybody benefits from such speculation. Aside from an academic exercise, and an interest in what's going on in the community as a whole, I'm not sure it affects me. I go to several sites to interact with binderfolk, have friends on all of them, and they all have their good points. Unless Ford Motor Company hires me, I don't care who owns it. I only care if it serves my needs when I need a new pickup truck. If they hire me, I care who owns it, and how they run it, and if I don't like it, I'll quit, since I don't own the company.

I say let them work it out if they need to. The most important thing to me is that the community as a whole benefits, since I don't have a dog in the website hunt. A lot of people spent 20 bucks a year supporting the building of that database, and one of the benefits was a newsletter. The people who now own the database have decided that this is not something they want to do, but nonetheless, there were about 3/4 million posts on the old binderbulletin. It got built. It exists still, mostly as built from that time. Did somebody own it before the new people took over, or did it belong to "the community" as some sort of community trust?

If it depends on who you ask, ask the right people. If you find them, let me know what they say.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Checking in.

I found this by accidently clicking on a link in my favorites.

Found the new place, looks like I will gravitate over there since that is where all of the content is.

Tim