Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gasket leak??????

Default gasket leak??????

looking at a 79 traveler. found out it has a small very slow leak from the gasket!!!!! looks like the leak is right next to the oil pan. can someone please explain what it could be or is. and also how much this might cost to fix and maybe why this happened. I know the scout isn't in front of you to look at and it could be a million things but just looking for input before i buy it!!!! thanks muddbugg

Well you said the gasket by the oil pan... I would "Guess" it is the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Next to the oil pan as in just above it and at the front of engine? Possibly where the mechanical fuel pump is located? Unless it is at the rear of the engine and is leaking between the engine and tranny, that is something completely different. But all leaks are fixable and you will not get all of them. Basically, if a scout is not marking its territory, there is something horribly wrong.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

the leak is in the front and on the center left side if were standing in front of the scout looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by muddbugg View Post
    the leak is in the front and on the center left side if were standing in front of the scout looking at it.
    I hate to sound like a moron, but "driver's side" and "passenger's side" are the typical descriptors here. I take it you mean "passenger side."

Fuel pump is over there.
    Valve covers are notorious for leaking.
    Head gaskets are unlikely to leak.
    Pan gasket could spring a leak.

Clean it off and watch it like a hawk. You'll find it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

how bad does it leak? Mine has the problem. It is very dirty with oil if you look at it but it is not leaking bad enough to leave a spot on my drive way.

yeah it's on the passenger side up front and it's dirty BUT doesn't leave a spot on the drive way??? i am just worried it might be a costly fix but...????

I cant think of anything on that side that needs a gasket except the fuel pump and that is like a $1.50 gasket and 10 minutes of your time. But that ain't in the center of the block it is in the lower front of the engine. Don't think there are freeze plugs on that side?
    If you can post a picture it will help a lot.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by muddbugg View Post
    yeah it's on the passenger side up front and it's dirty BUT doesn't leave a spot on the drive way??? i am just worried it might be a costly fix but...????
    I'm new to IH Scouts, but not engines. I have had this happen on a number of engines both gas and Diesel. A real gasket leak is usually a drip situation and usually pinpointed by cleaning the area and driving it a while and then revisiting the area to visually inspect for more oil.

However, dirty grime and oily residue that does not leak but collects around seals and gaskets may be caused by excessive crankcase pressure, especially on engines with breathers on the valve covers as opposed to a positive type crankcase vent (CCV). Even a positive CCV that is dirty may cause excessive crankcase pressure. Basically it is being forced out under pressure. I would not worry about it but you may be able to isolate the root cause by cleaning your CC breather. Also, if you have poor compression that would be contributing to the CC pressure on the compression and power stroke.

You may also try removing the oil fill cap and observing the CC vapors being blown out of the oil fill hole. If you can set the cap on top and it blows off... that is excessive CC pressure.

so if it is the cv pressure? how do you correct that problem?