Thread: Looking for information on a '70 Scout

Default Looking for information on a '70 Scout

Hello all,
    New to the Scout world. I have searched and read plenty over the last couple months, both on this site and others and am now more educated than before.

I am currently evaluating /trying to understand what I am looking at purchasing. It is titled and registered as a '70 IH Scout. It has a removable top with a short pickup style bed, how is that combination classified? The body is in excellent condition with not a scratch or dent and clean red paint. The white top has some surface rust on the inside top, but it looks repairable.

It also has a V8 with a Holley carb / Manual tranny and transfer case shifter with the words AllWheel Drive on the side fender and locking front hubs.

I would just like to know how to tell what is what in that year range, say 67 - 72. I am not worried about smog since it is exempt here in California. I would also like to know what to look out for such as problems inherent with driveline, engine, tranny, etc. It has been stored inside and looks nice. I could get it for 3K.

I have scoured the net and found plenty of info, but not enough to make me feel "smart" enough to know what I am looking at.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pat

Get the VIN number off the plate and check it out at http://www.quickvin.com that will get you some basic information. Since it sounds like an 800a, you can check out the following link: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...Serial+Numbers for more in depth details.

There is a ton of information out there, the above links will assist you in getting more information.

HTH

Baldscout, Thanks for the info. I did not grab the VIN when I first looked at the truck. I will be going to see it again once it is pulled from the back of the shop where it has sat since mid 2007.

I assume I will have to rebuild the gummed up carb and possibly clean up the plugs and change the fluids, but I am hoping that I don't have to do much more than that to get it in a decent running condition.

The exterior is in great shape for a '70's anything. The interior is in need of a bit more work, but nothing needs to be done now. Assuming that it runs well and only needs minor interior work, what price range would someone be looking to get?

$1000 - $1500
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Without pictures, it's hard to give a good quote. A hands on view is always best and put the value at what you are willing to pay for it with the work you know it needs. There will always be more.

I can state that I have yet to pay over $500 for any of the scouts that I own (purchase price).

Default Scout

Where at in norcal? I;m near chico if you want me to take a look at it and it's near me. I'd be happy to. PM me an let me know.