Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another n00b needing guidance

Default Another n00b needing guidance

Hello all, this is my first post, trying to do some research. My g/f loves the old Scout II's and I found a 72 that comes with a 79 Terra for sale and need some quick help.

First, how readily available are parts?

Actually, here is a pic so you can see what I am looking at. I did notice after saving the pic that it was taken a year ago so I will address that with the current owner...

Also, looking at some info on the web, is this a 72? Here is what the owner had to say about the truck..

I have a 1972 international scout II that would be good for the woods. It is beat up pretty good, It has 33x15.50x15 super swampers. It has a 345 v-8, with weak transmission. It needs windshield, front driveshaft. I have a parts truck that goes with it. It is a 1978 international terra. has good transmission, and it also has a 345 v-8 but does not run. If you have any question feel free to drop me a line or call me. The price is negotiable. I believe that the scout can be restored. The passenger side is the beat up side, door fender and quarter panel. Driverside quarter panel. Quarters are damaged due to previous owner, over sized tires. I only have a title for the terra. I will send you the two pics that I have. One of each. If you would like more just let me know. I will tell you straight up my bottom dollar is 700 for the both of them. I believe that if you had the time you could sell parts that you dont need and make it worth your while.

Now, me with a non trained eye for these, I think that this looks very much worth the deal. The scary thing is I will need to drive about 5 hrs one way to pick up two non running vehicles! So I need to make sure I am ready to purchase. I am wanting to get this for her since I am so in love with my own vehicles that I should not forget about what she loves. I am a true car enthusiast... getting off subject, sorry...

I guess the best way to ask is, would you go thru the trouble to pick these up regardless of who it is for? Is the drive worth it, and the trouble of trying to convince friends to let me borrow trucks and trailers...

Thanks guys!! I hope that this is worth it and I am on here more often building this thing for the woman! This would be a great surprise, she don't know I am looking for this

Just spoke with the gentleman who owns it, it is actually a 74, from reading it may have the D44 up front? I will not know until later when I get pics from him, if he takes any of that area... He said the top is in great shape on the scout and that the terra has a roll bar with a partition... he stated that someone told him that it was worth some money. Can anyone confirm? He also said that the fuel line on the scout are plastic (?) sounds weird to me but he also said they must have a crack since he could not get the motor to run with the mechanical pump but was able to hook up an electric one bypassing the standard fuel line and was able to get the motor to start.

How difficult is it to find a front drive shaft? The scout is missing it.

He said that that it has rust where the rocks beat up the qtr panels but not much more anywhere else, as far as he knows.

Good deal or should I walk?

Thought I would combine the two posts, the MOD accepted my first thread that had a pic...

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Hello all, great site! Glad I was able to find a scout site. Everyone on here seems to be very helpful so thought I would ask a n00b question interested in owning a scout II...

I am looking at a 72 Scout II, I would like to purchase it for the woman since she loves them. The price is $950 and comes with a 78 Terra. The 72 and 78 both have a 345, the 72 tranny is "weak" but the 78 is fine. The windshield on the 72 needs replaced, the body on the 72 is beat up pretty good. I do not know much about rust/cancer if any yet. Other than a bunch of dents on the 72 and a lack of a windshield, it looks to be in good shape. I have only seen one photo (tried to post another thread but the MOD needs to approve). I have yet to see the 78. With this little info, that's all I have for now, is this worth the price? I am going to call him a little later, just trying to cover my bases with a list of questions, the vehicles are 5 hrs away.

Thanks!!

AJ

Did you find those on Craigslist near Tyler, TX? If so, they've been on there awhile.

I appreciate the response but that does not answer my question.

From my experience, when cars keep recurring on CL it means there's something wrong. Could be the seller or the product. Either the guy's a dick or he wants more than they're worth. Based on your description and being 5 hours away, if it were me I wouldn't give him more than $200 each. Remember, you have to tow them home, that's more than 20 hours total, towing a new Scout home by yourself never goes as planned.

Default are they worth it

it bepends on what YOU think they are worth. as for the distance take a lunch and make a day of it just start out early. maybe you could talk him down a little because you have to drive so far. but go there with an open mind. me personally thats a little high but i would first check them out in person. but i turned down 3000 for my 73 scout. what would i replace it with? good luck on your decision

as for the fuel line it actually nylon i think

Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    as for the fuel line it actually nylon i think
    Yes, and it's aircraft grade, from what I understand. I just replace mine with steel and rubber, which doesn't last nearly as long, but is much easier to find. I have only had to replace them when damaged, not from just getting old and brittle.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Lonestarscout, sorry about the snap, bad day the other day and yeah it is in Tyler. I went ahead and made a deal with the guy so let's hope I did not jump into a money pit. He sent me a few more pics, I will need to replace both rear qtrs. Wish me luck with my new toys!! Thanks guys for the replies!!