Thread: Help! Can't get steering wheel back on.

Default Help! Can't get steering wheel back on.

I thought it would be a good idea to remove the steering wheel and take the bits out to treat/prime/paint the parts I could see were rusting in there. So I did, and I had to remove a retaining ring to get it all out. Then, I go to put it all back in, and it seems like the steering shaft has retreated down into the hole too far to cram it all back in and get the retaining ring back on.

Am I supposed to unbolt that shaft somewhere in the engine compartment to shove it back up?

Any advice?

Thx,
    Ben

How far down did the shaft seem to fall? Once I had the plate held in be the retaining ring on upside down and I couldn't get the ring back on until I figured that out.

I definitely don't have the plate in upside down (I took a photo before I removed it all).

I think the shaft slid in about an inch.

I can't remember if it was a Scout or another old car that a similar thing happen and I was just able to pull it back out. I figured you had tried that. I have a 74 and a 78 Scout and have had the steering wheel off of both a couple of times over the last year; new key cylinder, new turn signal switch, replace the return turn signal spring that fell off during a previous removal, etc. and haven't had the problem you describe, . . yet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

You should be able to pull it back out, otherwise, get a helper, a BIG screwdriver and pry it back out. Pry down by the rag joint to the frame, you'll have a little play down there and it should push the "core" back out to where you can get the retainer on.

No matter what, you'll probably need some help.