Thread: lights wont turn on

Default lights wont turn on

i recently went four wheeling with my scout up in the snow and mud around my place. but now when i turn my head light switch the light do not turn on, but my tail lights and license plate lights turn on . but everything in the front including the turn lights wont come on unless i flip the turn signal, Ive checked all connections and grounds and everything is connected but nothing is getting any power. Is there any ideas what may be wrong?

There is a relay for the front lights that may have gone kaputs. Check your connections there (on the fender wall of Scout II's or firewall of 800's).

If you're not getting anything in the front at all, sounds like there is a shorted wire or blown fuse. Check everything out, may have a bad connection at the fuse block.

all my connections are intact and firmly plugged in, but my ohm meter has sont down the drain so i cant text for power.

If all the connections are good, I'd go relay hunting. It would be the only thing I can think of off hand that can cause the issues you are seeing if you have power everywhere else but the lights.

Good luck on the search, if I think of any other issues that could cause it, i'll post up here.

Also try a search over on JustIH or binderplanet, there's a ton of information out there; you may get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    i recently went four wheeling with my scout up in the snow and mud around my place. but now when i turn my head light switch the light do not turn on, but my tail lights and license plate lights turn on . but everything in the front including the turn lights wont come on unless i flip the turn signal, Ive checked all connections and grounds and everything is connected but nothing is getting any power. Is there any ideas what may be wrong?
    Check your dimmer switch. It may have failed, or simply may have come unplugged. You can use a piece of wire to short the plug as a test. They aren't that expensive or hard to replace unless there is a major rust issue on the floorboard.

I don't know if scouts used a fusible link on the headlight circuit. My guess would be "no" but it was common in the 70s.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    Check your dimmer switch. It may have failed, or simply may have come unplugged. You can use a piece of wire to short the plug as a test. They aren't that expensive or hard to replace unless there is a major rust issue on the floorboard.

I don't know if scouts used a fusible link on the headlight circuit. My guess would be "no" but it was common in the 70s.
    thanks i will keep that in mind, ill check out both relays today and the dimmer switch

I had a problem with my headlights flickering on and off. It turned out to be bad wire connectors on the high/lowbeam foot switch. It is about ready to rot through the floorboard so I can see why.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutguy66 View Post
    I had a problem with my headlights flickering on and off. It turned out to be bad wire connectors on the high/lowbeam foot switch. It is about ready to rot through the floorboard so I can see why.
    My floor boards are new, well when i bought the thing look about damn near new, i checked the foot light switch it looks broken, but may very well be crapped out, ill install a new one and see is my luck turns.