Thread: Ignition upgrades?

Default Ignition upgrades?

I noticed the 345 in my 1975 200 has a Ford cap. Is this a Prestolite or Duraspark system? If Duraspark I know the TFI upgrade can be done but if a Prestolite system what ignition upgrades are out there?

Also, this truck has plenty of power EXCEPT taking off from a dead stop on a hill. Depending on the hill I have to put it into 2LO just to get it to move. SOmetimes it will take off at a very slow pace and once it hits a certain RPM it will just haul @$$ after that.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? The truck is a 1975 200 with a 345 and an auto trans 4WD.
    Thanks!

The 75 came with a Holley distributor with a small magnetic pickup that uses an electronic module to generate the spark. Ford used the same basic distributor on the small blocks as well, at least when everybody was using points. They are virtually identical.

It sounds like you have carb or advance problems. Try blocking off the vacuum advance. Re-time the engine to about 5 degrees BTDC at 650 rpm. Run the engine to see if you still have the problem before you hook the vac advance back up.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks man, I will check that out!