Thread: Which model do I have?

Default Which model do I have?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ, so I ask it here:
    I just purchased a 1961 IH truck. They think it is a 1-1/2 or 2 ton model, but the title only says pickup. The vin is B17258155386F. It has a two speed rear end. It was being used to spread fertilizer, and I had them remove the big v-shaped bed. Can anyone tell me which model this is, or do I need to supply more information?

Default a little help

look inside the drivers door where it bolts to the cab there should be a data plate with what you are looking for hope this helps.

Thanks, but that is the first place I looked. Nothing there, or the passenger side. No evidence there was a plate attached either place, either.

The truck is a B170. It was made from 59-62, then replaced by the loadstar.

The B series was also made in pickups and travelalls with the same front clip.

The serial number where it says B172 in the front tells you the model number. The 7 means it is a 2.5 to 3.5 ton truck. The B180 typically had air brakes, but the 170s could have had air or hydraulic brakes.

The V8 engines used in these trucks were the same as used in pickups and travelalls, which were the 266, 304, and 345. The 6 cylinder engines could have been in 220, 240, or 264 cubic inches. The engine size on all of these engines is on a flat pad near the front of the engine. On the V8, it is just above the water pump. On the 6 cylinder models, it will be easier to see.

5 speed transmissions were most likely Fuller, non-synchronized 1st gear. 2 speed rear axles were common. Look on top of the driver's side sun visor, there may still be a line set ticket. If not, there is a way to order it using the serial number you posted.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Which model do I have, continued

RE: 1961 IH truck, Vin B17258155386F. Thanks for the reply. It does have hydraulic brakes, by the way and an 8-cylinder engine. It was originally set up for propane, but a few years ago they converted it to gasoline. I think I can obtain the propane setup, but they are telling me it would not be a good idea to convert back. Any ideas? The sun visor is almost non-existent, so no line ticket. I have looked all over the doors, door posts, dash, glove box, practically everywhere under the hood, and still cannot find the Vin or even evidence of where it was. The local parts place tells me there are some letters missing in the Vin. Some of the websites that have old IH lists discontinue the b line in 1960. Is there a place I might have overlooked to find the Vin tag? I would like to buy a repair book, but have not located one for this model yet.
    Jon

propane is kinda funny if you have a crack in on of your heads it won't run that could be the reason just to name one. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 61 IH View Post
    RE: 1961 IH truck, Vin B17258155386F. Thanks for the reply. It does have hydraulic brakes, by the way and an 8-cylinder engine. It was originally set up for propane, but a few years ago they converted it to gasoline. I think I can obtain the propane setup, but they are telling me it would not be a good idea to convert back. Any ideas? The sun visor is almost non-existent, so no line ticket. I have looked all over the doors, door posts, dash, glove box, practically everywhere under the hood, and still cannot find the Vin or even evidence of where it was. The local parts place tells me there are some letters missing in the Vin. Some of the websites that have old IH lists discontinue the b line in 1960. Is there a place I might have overlooked to find the Vin tag? I would like to buy a repair book, but have not located one for this model yet.
    Jon
    The vin tag should be on the driver's door.

The LIGHT LINE B series was 59-60, which was pickups and travelalls (and 3 door travelettes). The MEDIUM LINE B series went through 62, because there was no C100 series medium duty line. The BC and the Loadstar took their places.

I would not convert back to gas, but it's really not that hard to do. You need to have a different intake manifold gasket if you live in cold country, and the distributor advance curve is different for propane than for gas, so it's easiest to just swap in a different distributor.

I would run a compression check before doing anything else.

The V8 engine ID is covered in other threads. The 392 didn't come out until 1966, so it's probably not a 392, but one would bolt in where there had been a 304, 345, or 266. The standard V8 was a 304, but the 266 was still common at that point.

You can order a manual from www.binderbooks.com if you want. The parts manual and the service manual are both available, although I don't know if they are in stock or in print at the moment.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak